Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

htpasswd, prompted to logn when downloading vidoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

keak

Programmer
Sep 12, 2005
CA
hi there
I have a whole domain which is htpasswd protected
I have direct links to video within this site
meaning <a href='videofile.wmv'> download video </a>

When I click on this or try to right-click save as, I get prompted to login again, for every video.

Is there a way to have it so that user don't get prompted once they've gone through their initial authentication when they hit the website?

Here's whats in my hptasswd currently

AuthName "Members Only"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user
Options -Indexes

Once the password protected page is accessed, you could redirect to a different page with the content. Perhaps you could use a dynamic page?

You may also be able to use cookies to temporarilly store whether or not a password has been entered, not sure there.

Thanks noway2, however, is it by nature that htpasswd prompts everytime someone tries to view the media file within a protected folder ?

This issue only seem to have shown up recently as far as I know, maybe a possible config glitch ?

I don't recall always having to enter a password when accessing a page I block with .htaccess.

Things I can think of:

Do you have cookies blocked? It may use a session cookie that is valid until you close the browser.

Does each video page have it's own .htaccess file?? If so, then for every new page you visit you will have to re-enter the password the first time you visit THAT page. I would put the password on the landing page that has links to the video pages. I *think* but don't quote me that all pages below a page protected by .htaccess will require the password to be entered at least once... like I said... It's been a while - don't quote me :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back