Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

htmlfile: Type Mismatch (MooTools 1.11) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexolio2008

Technical User
Apr 24, 2008
US
I have a page that keeps throwing javascript errors in IE. When I run script debugger, I get an error "htmlfile: Type Mismatch".

It's something to do with MooTools 1.11, but I'm very clueless with Javascript. Might even be another javascript file that is throwing off this one, for all I know.

Any ideas? Here's the page:

It may be something to do with the fact that you have no end of head section </head>, or start of body section <body>

Having waited for quite some time for your page to load, you may also like to look at
For these type of problems it's always worth checking your CSS for validity ( and your HTML ( and rectifying those errors first. Then bring any outstanding items to the forum.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Sorry for wasting your time... that's remedial stuff. Very sorry!

Okay, so I have some work to do cleaning up some of the CSS and HTML. However, the major Javascript issues are coming from the gallery script I'm using on the home page (where the picture changes, text scrolls up, etc.)

It's JD Gallery and it used MooTools and I've done very little to change it. The problems being reported when I validate are far too many for me to try and change myself.

Does anyone know of a similar script that's not so problematic?

Dan,

Thanks for forwarding that. I was hopeful at first, but it didn't worked. It asked me to change line 2590 in the MooTools JS from:

Code:
removeListener: function(type, fn){
			if (this.removeEventListener) this.removeEventListener(type, fn, false);
			else this.detachEvent('on' + type, fn);
			return this;
		}

to

Code:
removeListener: function(type, fn){
         try
         {
                        if (this.removeEventListener) this.removeEventListener(type, fn, false);
                        else this.detachEvent('on' + type, fn);
         }
         catch (e)
         {
         }
                        return this;
                }

Saying it would suppress errors, which would be about all I could do since I don't "own MooTools". But that didn't work. I'm getting the same error. Another solutions suggested I stop including the compressed MooTools JS file, but when I did, JD Gallery didn't work anymore (shockers of all shockers!)

One solution suggested I used Error Console in FF to debug the javascript, but it didn't even find an error with the JS (only some CSS warnings). ARGH!!!

So, I'm still at square one.

Using the uncompressed MooTools file shouldn't break your code, so perhaps you have other errors?

Personally, I would [!]never[/!] develop using a packed version of anything, as they are a nightmare to debug.

My advice: Go to the full, uncompressed, library until you have resolved your problem.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back