Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

html signature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I've created my own signature for outgoing mail in outlook express 5.5. I created it in Word 2000, and saved it as a html file. I then went to the Tools/Options/Signatures tab in outllok express, and selected the new html signature to use. Now when I click New Mail to compose a message, I get an error saying :

WARNING ! Your signature file is too large. It has been TRUNCATED, please make it smaller.

What are the limits I've exceeded, or what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance
kwunder

Nice one Jay~
I've been sat here for 36 hours now scanning through regedit to see if I can find a lead. Nothing as of yet. There is nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base either, except the statement that 4k is the max.
Why ? Why??????? make it 4kb ???????????
Just another foot in the door tactic to make people fork out for OE's big brother I expect.

Off back to regedit...... s-)

cheers
kwunder

MS say that the reason that the limit is 4kb, is that when OE first came out, they didn't see why anyone would have a need for a larger sized signature, so the put a limit on it?? Believe that!?!?!
Anyway, Ive gone through the reg for a while now too and still nothing. I've called in the help of the amazing reghakr, so hopefully help is on the way!!! :) Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Yeh...reghakr is notorious for coming up with the goods.
Thanks Jay. Might be over in Ireland in a few months, so I'll buy you a pint ! :-9

Cheers
kwunder

Ha! great! and you can have a tasty pint of the Black Stuff, Guinness!!! hhmmmmm!!!

I got a reply from reghark, but he couldnt come up with anything, he suggested the help of Comtech, so I will hunt him down!!

keep on fighting! Jay~

~KeyTech

I'm getting the same message. It's contained within the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoeres.dll file.

I've tracked the registry using RegMon and ReMonEx. I've changed some values, no luck so far.

There's no way that I know of to fool the file size, so I don't think it's possible.

reghakr

I don't like giving up so easily, but I don't see a way out of it.

reghakr

hmmmmm. Only way I can see begs the question
"How much is Outlook 2000"

kwunder

Sorry about this Key Tech & reghakr, but I have another question I've asked in another forum. I've had no replies yet and I think you may be able to answer.

Appologies again for posting here

the question is at
thread600-159277

Kwunder,

I realise I may have missed the plot somewhere in this, however, what is to stop you attaching the graphic and sending it with the email. Not elegant, but might be worth a go if you can't get the file size down :p

I know what you mean, but the idea was of a convenient "have to do nothing" footer to my e-mails, which incorperated my website logo.

Thanks Paul.

kwunder

Why not create a background picture that has your web site logo either as a watermark, or as a small image with lots of white space above it?

I used photo editor to make a pale image to place behind my emails.

datawise

what type of file is the attached image, you can try saveing it over and over, each time compressing it about 10 or 5% this will reduce the file ever so slightly, and having minimal (If any) loss of quality. Jay~

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back