Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML page expiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Score1000

Technical User
May 20, 2003
IR
hi all;
I have a problem with my static htm website that is after each upload I can not see the latest pages! it doesn not refresh even I delete my cache, press Ctrl+F5 several times but still see the old page. is there any tag that can be set to page expires after x minutes? or any other way?
thanks

Hi Score,

FIRST, make sure that the files have been uploaded properly. What are you using to upload?

Just out of curiosity, what webhost are you using? This can happen when the permissions aren't set correctly on the folder or files being hosted by the server. Unfortunately, if that is the case there isn't much you can do about it assuming it is all being hosted by IIS. To test this, upload a blank default file and see if it changes in the browser.

LL

thanks LL

I uploaded an empty page but still see old one! sometimes after several madly Ctrl+F5 it may refresh but I can not tell my visitors to do it. I am suspiciuse about my ISP, it may be some settings there to prevent refreshing after each change, ya?

Probably just being cached too "enthusiastically" by the ISP. Control+F5 refreshes your local copy from the server, but if that's giving you an old page you're no further forward!

(As a test, rename or delete the page on the server and see how many requests it takes before you get a 404)

Try putting a line like this in the <HEAD> section of the page (on a single line):
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Tue, 04 Dec 1996 21:29:02 GMT">

Effectively this pre-expires the page and may discourage the server's caching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back