Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

html files on CDRW

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyg

Technical User
May 16, 2001
GB
I am working on a CD project using Dreamweaver The client would like to put the files on CDRW so the users can add their own data files.

Is it possible to do this and it still be readable by users with only CDR's (as read-only). What about Mac compatibility - I am using XP.

Thanks for any suggestions
Dave

A CD-RW disc is readable on any CD-R drive as long as the session is closed. It is when you leave the session open that you can only read the disk in a CD-RW drive.
As for Macs, it seems to me that the Mac OS can read Windows-formatted data without any trouble - it has been doing that for years. Can the users actually use the files ? If they are only data files, and the users have the program on their Macs, I don't think there should be a major issue.

Pascal.

Pascal

Thanks for the information.

I presume the user can then add their data files as a second session.

Will all the files in the first session will be read only - I dont want the user to delete all the html files I created by mistake.

Dave

Every CD-ROM disc (commercial, CDR, CDRW) is read only by default.

[blue]Exception: There are programs like Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD that can format CDRW's to make them act like a floppy with read/write access. However, often times these types of CDRW's can only be read in PC's that have a burner and same application it was made with.[/blue]

In your case though, you are just making a regular data CD using sessions. So in other words, it will just appear as read-only to the users. There's nothing they can do to change the contents of the CD unless they have a burner. Even then, they would have to create a 2nd or 3rd session on the disc to add anything to it and would have to format the whole disc to "accidently" remove your files.

Does that make sense?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back