Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

html editor suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

yippiekyyay

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
CA
Hey Forum,

I use Homesite, but when people bring me large files I just throw it into FrontPage and then start "cutting the fat" (I'm talking about all the unecessary tags these editors throw in).

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tested alot of these html WYSIWYG editors and which one delivered the cleanest code?

Thanks,

-Sean

the only one that will produce the cleanest code is one that is not a WYSIWYG.

or even I believe leaves the code the way it should really look without adding a bunch of giburish _________________________________________________________
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924
Is your question a most FAQ?? Find out here FAQ333-3048

First page 2000 is a cool HTML editor but... as all good HTML editor, it's a text mode one. You can find this freeware here : Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

"which one delivered the cleanest code" - not really possible with a WYSIWYG editor. No comparison to hand coding! Another vote for Get the Best Answers! faq333-2924
Is this an asp FAQ? faq333-3048

mikewolf@tst-us.com

Will HTML editors war begin with this post ????
Let's call Kofi Annan, Quick !!! LOL LOL LOL Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Thanks for the replies everyone (fast too!)

I think the subject heading I used was misleading! (sorry for the confusion)

First I'd like to say that I'm an old-fashioned hard coder myself! Our site posts hundreds of scientific reports which we provide in pdf and html. I'd like to hard code each one - I just don't have the time to start from scratch for each one - especially as every single one of them contains several tables!

What I was saying in my first post was that I use a WYSIWYG editor to get the html file to save time, and then I open it up in Homesite to clean it up. This is a pretty good system I think - I was just wondering which one would do the best job so that there would be less for me to edit in an editor...?

Thanks everyone!

-Sean

If you want to use a wysiwyg editor, my favorite (based on quality of code) is Macromedia's Dreamweaver. Good luck!

I love Dreamweaver MX, but I can't say it won't add some unecessaries. What I haven't been able to clear up myself by hand, I've used a program called Pretty HTML ( to clean it up and save me time when necessary. Hope that helps. :)

Sounds like Dreamweaver is a good way to go - I'll try their demo today. Of course I expect some "unecessaries" (as Christylh put it) but the goal here is to save time.

Thanks again everyone!

-Sean

How about, using PHP, and include or require the sections that are on everypage, and MySQL to do the dynamic content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back