Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML and conditional execution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickLiebespach

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
US
I'm not really good at web page stuff, so don't laugh/groan too loud if I post a silly question...

I have a web app I'm tring to make - contact management - and we're loading a client side ActiveX alarm to pop-up reminders. The app is designed to come back to the same page many times. What I want to do is load the ActiveX control and have it available for the duration. What's happening is that it's either loading every time I come back to this page, and apparently wiping out my previously set alarms... or it's loading on the first visit to the page and later when I try to set an alarm I get a message indicating the object isn't available.

I'm at a loss for what to do...
I'm also wondering if I'm correctly approaching the concept of having it load once and being available later.

TIA,

Rick Liebespach

I know that once someone has navigated away from a page, any timeouts set using javascripts setTimeout() are wiped out.

In an application where I had to monitor things through setTimeout, i was using a website with frames, and simply did the timeout stuff in a static frame.

I don't know if your activeX alarm is any different, but I doubt you can maintain timeouts over changes in window locations.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe this is the same thing and I won't be able to do anything about it... although you make me wonder if it would work from a static frame as yours did... Perhaps a could make a static frame along the top and have it only 1 pixel tall...
I've nothing to loose so I think I'll try that.

Rick Liebespach

NeverMoor,

I've created the app with frames.
I put a static frame along the top and my OCX alarm is in there.
Now I'm trying to figure out where the scripts go... in the static frame or the dynamic frame...
I would think the scripts that access the alarm control need to be in the static frame with the alarm...

If that's the case, how do I get a button on the dynamic frame, to access the scripts in the static frame?

Rick Liebespach

the javascript functions/variables go in the static frame.

you can put a button in the dynamic frame that calls a function in the static one. Any timeout set in the static frame will "survive" changes to the dynamic one.

Here is a page showing you how to reference across frames:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back