Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTM/HTML files do not open w/ IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertdc

Programmer
Feb 10, 2004
PH
I'm using IE6sp1 on Win2k. Somehow, my html file association got messed up and now I can't open the files w/ IE by just double-clicking on them. I tried "Open With.." but that didn't retain the association.

Albert Cobacha

Right click the file, go to properties.

It'll say "Opens with" and you just have to hit that Change button there to associate them with IE again.

Thanks, captaincrunch00. I was able to do that. But, I can't seem to find the extension names HTM & HTML in the File Types tab on the Folder Options dialog box. And, the file's icon has also changed. Any idea how I can restore the extension name in File Types & restore the original icon for HTM/HTML?

Regards,

Albert Cobacha

The icon changed to whatever it opens with now I am assuming.

Go into Notepad, type some random stuff, heck just copy/paste this into notepad, then do a save as and save the file type as .html and be sure to change the bottom box from "Text Document" to "All Files"

Then go to where you saved the file, right click it, go to properties then do the same thing I said above. Click the "Change" button, and change the association to IE.

That should change the icon, the file associations, and everything back on all of your IE stuff.

If you have shortcuts to IE on your desktop and that is what is screwed up, then you'll probably want to start a new thread asking about how to fix that one.

Thanks for your patience, captain.

I did exactly what you instructed, but, the icon for HTM/HTML is still different from the default; the extension names are still missing in the File Types tab.

I don't think the IE shortcut on my desktop is screwed up. It opens w/o any hitch.

Regards,

Albert Cobacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back