Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HPOV NNM ISDN Backup line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

96ygp

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
DE
Hello,

can somebody help me, please ?

I want to monitor a ISDN backup line in NNM 6.2.
In the moment it is monitored as "link down" but the line is a backup line. It is only "up" when the main line goes down. Because of this I have a overall status of "minor" on the submap.

Can I configure NNM to avoid this ?

Thanks in advance.

Metin

I have to unmanage the my ISDN interfaces. You will get a node status warning if the interface comes up.

Thanks for the answer but do I have another choice ?

I will get NNM 7.01 in the next days. Is it possible to configure this on 7.01 ?

Thanks.

Metin

Not sure, I have yet to upgrade. Let me know if you come up with another solution.

I'm assuming that you have a router that is using the ISDN line. If so, i SNMP poll the router for OperStatus. When the operstatus changes from down to up, i get OV to issue a trap.

If you need more details on exactly how to do this , please let me know

Regards
Pete

Pete,
What does the ISDN interface look like when you view it in NNM. Is it green, blue?

Russell,
You should unmanage the ISDN interface as otherwise you will find yourself with a huge bill at the end of the quarter if HPOV is bringing the line up every 5 mins (polling interval).
Otherwise i would expect it to be blue, changing to green when the line comes up.

PEte

However , if you unmanage the ISDN interface of course it will be tan colour

Pete,
I currently have all my ISDN BRI interfaces unmanaged and prevent SNMP from bringing them up by way of access list applied to the dialer. I was wandering if there was any other solution. It appears we both are using the most practical method in dealing with interesting interface that in normal scenarios stays down.

Yes Russell. So moving on from unmanaging the interfaces. You can you Data Collection and thresholds to check the value of ifOperStatus on the router. 1 being up, 2 being down (see help for more). Therefore if the threshold goes below 2 then the line is up ! when it goes back to 2 then its down again. Configure the threshold traps to give you the appropriate messages, then you'll never miss another line coming up

Hi
I have the same problem than you, i tried to do what you say, but doesn't work.
My routers have two ISDN BRI interfaces working (for phones) and one for backup.
I make a test collecting data (ifOperStatus) for the BRI that is working, but when the interface came up, the threshold alarm doesn't work and when i try to see the data that was collected, nothing!!
I think the problem is the "snmpCollect", but when i try

ovststus -v snmpCollect, the result is

snmpCollect running
Determining data collection tasks...

I haven't unmanaged the interfaces yet. Why should i do that? Should I unmanage all the 3 interfaces?

I would like any kind of help, I'm a bit inexperient.
Thanks

Felix

You must not leave ISDN interfaces managed as they will be polled by HPOV and the lines will be up all the time (and give you a huge bill to pay).
With out knowing how you have set up data collection i cannot really comment, however you do not need to store the data. Just set it up to not sture, use thresholds. Then configure the thresholds <2 (this will notify you in the Threshold alarms when the ISDN line is up), and the rearm should be >1 (or =>2) - for when the ISDN line is down. You can use the test data feature within data collection to check the current values of ifOperStatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back