Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HPOV as Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmagow

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
This might be long. I am trying to get more use out of my 6.2 NNM system. For Example, a router, it has what we call a circuitless IP address assigned whose symbol shows up when clicking on to open the router. When clicking on that circuitless IP symbol you get the no child sub-map message. I am creating submaps here that have say the dial-up number for the router, maybe an address and name in the comments field. Other symbols related to the router I want to put in my circuit ids, ISDN numbers etc. I'm trying to make OV the central depository for site related info so my ops staff will have a single area to look-up the information. I started doing this on the "default" map which I keep open and RW locked at my desk. My operations staff has a R/W map of their own that I maintain. As I put information into the default map it doesn't propagate to any other maps in the database, i.e. Ops doesn't get the new sub-maps I am creating. Is there a way to get around this behavior? Normally what I do is swap back and forth two maps set up for operations and tell them to restart OV once a day so that transparetly to them they are getting a new map each day. Is this the way I should just keep on going to have them get the same info I build into "default" (yes, I am resaving the default map to their mapname each time, delete the not used map, save default to that name, change their script to -m the alternate map).
BIGGER QUESTION - Is there a better way to do this documentaion thing altogether, OV add-on, different product,
better approach to putting this info into the map??
ANY advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I did come across this....

Mike

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

It's like this; even samurai have teddy bears, and even teddy bears get drunk.

I use HPOV as a central location for all documentation, I use a HTTP link from the object to a web server.

afreeman, can you post a sample of how you coded this ? I'm on OV 6.2 Unix platform. Thanks Much.

I use it similar to you. I have one collection station and have other users access it. I only let them use the Read Only map. You can open the default map in “read only” using “ovw –ro” at the command prompt. You can also alter your desktop shortcut target ("C:\Program Files\HP OpenView\NNM\bin\ovw.exe" –ro). I’m assuming your running on a Windows platform. Although all changes to the default map would require you to close it and reopen it using command “ovw” but I don’t see it as a problem because your already stopping and starting the services daily.

Off the top of my head as I dont have NNM in front of me, you drop an Icon into NNM, your choice of icon, I tend to choose a database icon, name it, then right click on the object for its properties from here you can make it HTTP managed, there is a field below specifying the URL, you can paste the URL for your documentation link into this.

Then you need to make the object fire the HTTP session, again right click on the object and select I think..execute..you will first have to select HP Openview HTTP, then reselect the Icon and select HTTP Managed.

All off the top of my head ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back