Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HPLJ 4000tn pauses between pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I have HPLJ with 8 MB ram. It is installed on a win2k server box and then shared out to the workstations.

The connection is TCP/IP

This generally works well with word docs and spreadsheets etc but we are now prining faxes and note that even small tiff or PDF files pause between each page while prining.

In experimenting I tried to print 3 of 9 pages of an 180KB PDF file and found the problem occurred as expected.

I also found the same problem when I installed the printer on the local machine (again using tcp/ip) bypassing the server alltogether.

I then changed the local driver install from PCL 5E to PCL 6 and then to the PS driver. The same result was had

The Most interesting part of this takes place during a terminal services session. Here again I am using the same exact file and while in the TS session I have 2 ways to get to the printer:

1. Selecting the actual shared printer on the server - doing so generates the printed document without any pauses

2. Selecting the printer that is created by the TS session - in which case the problem is seen again.

Suggestions comments etc appreciated

No replies required

The LaserJet 4 plus driver fixed the problem

For curiosities sake is the printer a LJ4 Plus?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

You should avoid PCL6, also look at upgrading the network card, there been a coulple of newer ones. Also look at extra ram. Not that ram solves the problem as I had a printer 8000 with 64 meg, changing the network card solved all printing problems (not a cheap option)

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Hi Assets,

I've been looking for a while (well, looking and then give up and then try looking again) and you have shined some light into my mind. We have a bunch of 5si's and 1 8000 and PDFs print extremely slow on both of these models and pauses in between every single page!

When you mentioned that changing the EIO card fixed everything, did that include PDFs printing really fast as well? Also, if you could give me a link of which card you used, that would be great!

TIA,

Nip

I had a problem with an 8000. I got a new network card and it printed 10 times quicker.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back