Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP8100 fuser burning smells 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibdp

Technical User
Jan 25, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have an HP8100 printer and the fuser starts to smell like burning plastic while printing. Would anyone PLEASE tell me what it is? It's has about 150k shts printed so it's not time to do maint. yet.

Thanks,
wibdp

This can be a couple of things.

1) There's something stuck to the fuser
2) The fuser temperature sensor has gone out, and it's overheating

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

I have checked thoroughly and there's nothing stuck in the the fuser. I changed the surface temp sensor and the other sensor(round, exposed w/the removal of top plastic cover) but the problem still there. But I noticed something now though, it emits plastic-burning-like odor EVEN when the printer is not printing.

Thanks,
wibdp

Anyone else has another solution? Please help!

thx,
wibpd

Well, even when it's not printing, it's probably keeping the fuser hot.

Another thing that can cause a burning smell, is if there's toner on the corona wire... you may want to consider cleaning that; making sure there's no paper dust, etc. inside the printer.

You may also want to check the circuit boards, to make sure there isn't a chip overheating. You should be able to lay the top of your finger on any chip, without burning yourself. If you get burned, then that chip has problems.

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Check the connectors on DC controller and ac controller.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I cleaned it inside out, checked for lose connectors, changing sensors, still the same. I've not checked into checking on the boards yet, but when I used another fuser from another printer, it's fine. And that "bad" fuser into another printer, it emits the bad odor. Anyways, I have gotten new maint. kit in and everything is fine now. But I'm really interested in finding out what's really the problem though. Hopefully someday I could pass the solutions to other users.

Guys, you've been great! Thanks for all your help and thanks for your valuable time to following up on this especially ghaughma.

Thanks,
wibdp

Quite likely the fuser was near, at or past the end of its scheduled life anyway. With 8100 printer long out of production, just keep replacing the fuser and rollers as needed. I have 3 8100 printers and they all had the fuser go bad recently, the problem being burned-on toner stuck to the fuser, trashing the quality of the output.

Another thought - any transparencies ever printed on that fuser? If they're not made for laser printing, I've seen several instances where the offending transparency wrapped around a fuser roller.

The recommendation of life cycle for the HP8100 is 350,000 before replacing in normal condition. This one is not even half way yet and only printed with quality laser paper. I have 10 8100's and 2 8150's, none of them in the past had such problem until this one. No transparencies have been printed in the printers either. In reply to one of the replies above, I changed 2 sensors, bulbs, thoroughly cleaned inside out, no peeling on upper or lower drums, no indications of cable connectors being burned or whatsoever. BUT, there is one thing, IT'S SQUEAKING. I at first thought that was the problem. But then I emits order even when the printer is not printing.

Thx all,
wibdp

Ocassionally a fuser can burn out before it's scheduled life. It is not uncommon on these ptinters because they have such a high fusing tempature. I have seen fusers for these printers go from only 200,000 pages to 400,000 pages. 150,000 pages seems quite low, but HP does not test their products and it could have been burning too hot the whole time you had it. Many fusers squeak when they have aftermarket rollers in them or when they are nearing the end of their life.

Donald Broda
Vice President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back