Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP5550 Printer & DLINK DIR-825S Wireless Router & DLINK 3.0 Shareport

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFG

Technical User
Jun 10, 2010
US
I'm trying to run DLINK's Shareport 3.0 Utililty (Virtual Print Server) with DLINK's DIR-825S Wireless Router's USB Port to share my HP5550 Printer with two XP Home machines and one Window's 7 Machine. I installed the print drivers on both XP Home machines and then the Shareport utility and could not get them to print. It sees the printer and says available but cannot connect to it. The Windows 7 machine connected and printed flawlessly. I called DLINK support and they told me I had to delete the USB Virtual printer port in properties/ports for the HP5550 in Printers & Faxes and then reinstall the Shareport utility. Howerever, it said that deleting the port is not supported. Is there an easy registry fix to delete the USB virtual printer port?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmm, I bet it's saying "not supported" b/c you've got a print job queued up in that "printer". Try opening the non-working printer's queue, and delete anything there... then give it a minute, and try to delete the driver again.

Go to control panel, and choose printers. Once the printer tab opens, go to a white area, ie not a device. And right click and choose server properties. Click on the ports tab, go to the port you want to delete and delete the port.

If you get a message that the device is in use. go to Start
-> run type in services.msc look for print spooler and stop the service, than try to delete the port again.

kjv1611 & rclarke250,

Thanks for the quick replies....tried your recommendations. Print que was empty and waited a few minutes but still could not delete the port.

Tried to delet the port from the server properties and same thing not supported. Then stopped the printer spooler service and all the printer icons disappered from the printer and faxes tab but tried to right click the white area anyway and it said server properties cannot be viewed. the print spooler service is not running.

I gather there is not a registry fix for this since it was not mentioned?

Thanks again...

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Monitors and from there, you can delete the printer from \printers and the port from \* where * is the port type you need to delete. local,tcp/ip,usb or whatever.

Thanks again for the quick reply...I could not find a USB port in the registry.

I called DLINK again and they told me to turn off my firewall and antivirus and then reboot.

For the first time it actually worked so I guess it is actually a firewall and antivirus issue.

Funny why the Windows Live OneCare doesn't tell me it blocked the shareport utility from connecting from my pc to the wireless router USB port.

Is there any help I can get on configuring my firewall and antivirus to allow this application? I checked in my firewall and it already has Shareport 3.0 allowed.

Thanks again for the help here.

Hmm, you're using Windows Live OneCare?

Yeah, that could be the issue. I've read a lot of bad reviews with that one, and never tried it myself. Actually, I thought MS was ending support for that one... or at least they're not going to make it anymore.

Here's what I suggest in that area:

1. Microsoft Security Essentials for your antivirus OR Avira Antivir. Avira may be the strongest, MSE is definitely the easiest to use. It's also about as strong as Avira, sometimes stronger now, so hard to say there. Both are excellent products as well.

2. Firewall - Comodo Internet Security or Tall Emu Online Armor. Online Armor is not 64bit compatible yet, last I checked.

You may occasionally still have issue with those, but they are all very powerful, and have good configuration options.

Another hint: If you ever see a pop-up from your antivirus or your firewall, be sure you know what it is, and take action if/where appropriate. For instance, the firewalls will by default block all sorts of stuff until you set up rules for it to allow certain things.

kjv1611,

Thanks for all the help...I switched over to MS Security Essentials and now everything works fine...It must have been the new Firewall software included with the security suite. It has been working fine now for over a week on both XP PCs and one WIN 7 PC. Good luck to all who have the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back