Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP4000N not using both trays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinx79

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi all

Just a quick question. If tray 1 is open but no paper is loaded should the printer use tray 2? The printer that we have doesn't seem to want to do this.

Thanks

Chris J

You have to have the paper settings for both trays (size and type) be the same. If one is 'plain' and the other is 'letterhead' it won't automatically switch. This is generally true on all models.

Thanks for the reply. I have just had another look at the printer and it's doing something very strange now. If there is no paper loaded into tray 1 and it's open when it tries to print it attempts to take paper from it anyway and then gives a paper jam error 13.1. I have checked and there isn't any paper jam. It still prints fine if there is paper loaded into tray 1.

Does the tray 2 show up on a configpage of the printer and in the driver as well ? Just to make sure : Tray 1 is the manual feed, while tray 2 is the 1st actual tray in the printer. If there`s been connected more trays to the printer than it originally came with, they have to be installed in the driver as well.

Tray 1 is the manual feed tray and tray 2 is the paper tray at the bottom of the printer. Tray 2 does show up in the config and the driver and there have not been any other trays installed before. I was wondering if one of the sensors on tray one could be faulty?

the paper out flag in tray #1 maybe missing or out of place. load 2 sheets of paper in tray #1 and print a 3 page document. (make sure you have no paper in tray 2) if the flag is missing or out of place you should get a paper jam, if its ok you should get "load paper msg"

Thanks for the reply. I will try this in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back