Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP vs 3COM switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInKS

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
Any opinions on which is "better" for a basic lan of about 20 PC's?

3Com SuperStack 3 Switch 4400 SE 24 Port
- or -
HP ProCurve 2524 Managed Switch 2524

Anyone familiar with the management features of each?

I can tell you the HP ProCurve 2524 is probably the best in it's class for features and price.
And you really can't go wrong with the life time warrenty.

just my 0.02

I was the sales engineer for 3com for 2 years out of chicago. I have dealt with both products in test and live enviroments, I can say this don't buy the 3com the support staff is not there for their lines anymore. the product in the day was good now they are going down on service. HP followed 3coms lifetime support for the products in the procurve lines to follow the superstack line. The gear is almost identical. I use now only HP in my cores yea I do like cisco but for the price they work not to mention HP does cut sweet deals on prices.

Go for the HP Procurve 2626, far better, LARGE backbone, 9.6gb, 2 x 100/1000BaseT (That means 1GB to two servers)or 2 x gbic slots for fibre modules. It manageable, you can even get a power over Ethenet version and it is infinately more configurable.

I have found HP to be best cost per port solution, and they have a lifetime warranty. Tech support is excellent.

Hey all,

I have a fiber segment that’s slow a lot more often than it’s fast. Here’s the setup: At this end I have a 4000M that connects to an Etherwan Xpresso switch (from the vendor) and then the fiber). Then at the other end of the fiber there’s another Etherwan Xpresso and then a 2524. The fiber segment is 10Mbps, but about 75% of the time it runs at about 150Kbps. There are no errors in the logs of either of my switches and no errors in the logs for the switches from the vendor. I’ve run Ethereal and I don’t see anything that would indicate a temporary broadcast storm (is there such a thing?) since the problem is intermittent.

I’ve made many phone calls and had techs over trouble-shooting and I’m hearing that it’s a compatibility issue with my ProCurves and the “other stuff” they’re connected to. At first I doubted this but I “borrowed” two Allied Telesyn switches to use in place of the ProCurves and things are zipping along with no slowdowns.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? After investing in the ProCurves (and some GB modules for a different long run that needs high bandwidth) I don’t really want to buy more switches, but I’m starting to think that’s the direction I need to go. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I’m open to just about anything.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Oops!!! Sorry about that, I meant to do a new post!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back