Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP-UX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtroub

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
CA
Hi,
I am having a ftp/telnet issue and i hope someone can help me out. It seems that my Stratus Continuum Server(using hp-ux 10.20) only allows so many ftp/telnet sessions and then it dies. You can still ping the server but you cannot ftp or telnet into the hp-ux machine.Does anyone know how to increase the amount of available ftp/telnet sessions or a command that will clear inactive sessions that have not been terminated properly?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dtroub

As far as increasing - you can change the "npty" parameter in sam to allow more pseudo terminals.

For getting rid of old ones, I've used the script below. You can put this in a cron job to run overnight. (Be sure to test the script before running!)

#!/bin/ksh
# First, find tty sessions that are "old"
for i in `who -u | awk '{print $2 "\t" $6}' | grep old | cut -f1`
do
# Then, for each old session, find PIDs, and kill them
for j in `ps -ef | grep $i | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
do
ps -ef | grep $j | grep -v grep
echo "killing $j"
##kill -9 $j
done
done

Another thing you might try is setting the TMOUT environment variable in the default profile (/etc/profile), so that inactive user sessions will terminate after some amount of time.

I need help with HP-UX 11
is any body able to help me up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back