Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP-UX; HP9000: Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tex8481

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have recently inherited an HP9000 running HP-UX Release B.11.0 (I think).

I am new to Unix sysadmin ad am having trouble booting. I am familiar with using Unix, through Oracle work, but have never done any hardware or OS work.

I got it to boot once. Once I got into root, I changed the root pwd(to get rid of theold users pwd) and added a line to the hosts file. Now I can't boot.

I get to a menu which may be an HP Menu? Not sure.

When I choose to boot from there, It says:

Booting....

Then says:

failed to initialize
ENTRY_INIT status = -4

Then puts up a list of binary or hex codes.

Can anyone help? Have I done anything seriously wrong?
Thanks,
Tony

Hi,
First you should check if you boot from a correct H/W path. If yes, then you have a hardware problem. Call HP support.

Cheers,
mewa

I agree, couple of questions:

Question: Does the boot fail before you get to the 10 second break? or does it go through that and try to boot from the device? Then you will get the error? I'm trying to establish where in the boot process you get this error.

Question: Is the root drive mirrored? If so, try booting from the Mirror by breaking the boot sequence at the 10 second mark and booting from the alternate virtual device.

I also seem to remember you could break into the prom by doing a control b or ^b and work at the prom level from this point. Good Luck!

ENTRY_INIT -4 Causes:
- the disk is experiencing hardware faults and needs replacing.
- the path to the disk is experiencing problems. e.g.. Termination,
cabling, SCSI adapter, SCSI adapter seating.

I'm not sure if you get the same error message when trying to boot from an "invalid" boot disk, i.e. one that doesn't have a boot image on it; From the IPL prompt, try "BOOT PRIMARY" and "BOOT ALT"; If neither works, try "SEARCH" and see what valid devices exist - Try booting from each of them in turn.

This message :failed to initialize ENTRY_INIT status =-4 ,is hardaware problem.... call your support...

Thank you !!

Gaucho.

It is after the 10second wait.

And thank-you for your posts. It is definetely sounding like a hardware issue.

Interupt the boot process at the 10 sec break. When the menu comes up enter SEARCH to see if you have a boot device. I've seen this problem before and it wasn't hardware related, in my case just a VERY bad user messing with the system. Had to kill him <GRIN>!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back