Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP-UX FTP WITH WINDOWS NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walterab

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
BR
In my environment I have a HP L2000 with HP-UX 11i (11.11) and others servers Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. The file transmition between them is by ftp (an automatic script using .netrc). I increased the network links speed from 64K to 10Mbps. After changing the speed the HP-UX ftp script from HP-UX to Windows NT 4.0 stoped working. The Windows 2000 servers is working normal. After updating Windows NT 4.0 with SP6a and all "Windows update" you can imagine, the disconnection problem remains the same. Can you help ?

Best Regards.

Walter.

Hey there

MMM Difficult, I take it you are using TCP/IP for the FTP connection, if you do ftp <IP ADDRESS OF WINDOWS MACHINE> what error message do you get, cannot connect to host?

Best regards

Hey, jollyroger.

Yes, We do the connection by TCP/IP. The connection occurs normally, but during the process, while file transfer happens, the connection fails e become a &quot;zumbi&quot; with no response, no activity and We need to reopen and to try it again. Sometimes the reopen works, sometimes not. This happens with Windows NT 4.0. With Windows 2000 Server I have no problem.

Thanks.

It sounds like there is some sort of TCP/IP problem here do you have any utilities like lsof on your HP machine, can you ftp from the Windows 2000 machine to the WinNT 4.0 machine OK?

I don´t have lsof and I tryed a transfer between Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 successfully few minutes ago.

No, each remote Server is in a different LAN.

L2000 -> Network 10.x.x.x / 16

Others -> 10.1.x.x / 16
10.2.x.x / 16
10.3.x.x / 16 ... etc...

I suppose the best thing to do would be to try and identify which machine is droping the connection. Just because the HP machine has the FTP session as a zombie does not mean that it is what is causing the problem.

Perhaps you can do this, start the ftp session between the machines, and start you data transfer.

On another window on both the machines (pcanywhere for the windows box) issue the command &quot;netstat&quot; on the WinNT4 and &quot;netstat -a -f inet&quot; on the Unix Box.

Here you will be able to see all the open connection between the machines and will be able to see their &quot;state&quot;. To find out which machine is causing the problem one will say something like SYN_SENT and the other something else, but you should be able to guage whether it is the HP Box or NT Box.

May I also add that you do not have a firewall between the two machines?

I tried &quot;netstat -a -f inet&quot; and some ftp connections appear:

tcp 0 0 SrvLc021.58238 SrvRm003.ftp-data TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 SrvLc021.58239 SrvRm003.ftp-data TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 SrvLc021.58237 SrvRm003.ftp TIME_WAIT

I´ll try a test as you said in last message with PcAnywhere.

Thanks.

From here I would expect that the HP Machine is waiting for information or a state change from the Windows box, have you tried the microsoft knowledge base to see if they have any support issues logged?

Yes,

The Microsoft KB don´t have any occurrence like ours. I even tried to search from all over the Web World in order to find material about but I couldn´t get one. The Tek-tips is my last hope. So, if I don´t get a solution my only possible action will be necessarily to update Windows NT 4.0 with Windows 2000 Server.

By the way,

There is not a firewall between L2000 and the remote Servers. There are routers and switches.

I tried to connect by VNC (Virtual Network Computing) with Windows NT 4.0 and the various different return status was as following:

CLOSING
FIN_WAIT_1
LAST_ACK
TIME_WAIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back