Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP UPD . Windows 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
AU
Hi There,

I am using the HP UNiversal Printer driver 5.0.3 on a Windows 2008 R2 installation. There are 500 print queues on the print server. It works very well apart from one thing.

At random periods the spoolsv.exe shoots up to 100% of CPU resources. I know why it does this; its because the Windows 2008 server is communicating with the physical printers (all 500 of them, it takes 4-5 hours to complete during which time the server responce time is affected) to see if the configuration has changed (new tray etc).....can someone tell me how to stop this happening at random times or at least configure it to happen in the middle of the night.

The entry in the log reads
Event ID 306
Settings for printer <Printer Name> were changed. No user action is required.

Thanks,

Hi Mizzy,

Please check this doc. that I have uploaded with an explanation of most the known current issues related to printing with the UPD driver series in a Windows 2003-2008 or Terminal server environment.

Link -->
You will also in the doc. find many workarounds for your print server in order to obtain stability.

Also I strongly recommend you upgrade to the latest UPD v. 5.1 as there are many fixes from v. 5.03 to v. 5.1

Hi hpwizzard,

Thanks v much for the information.

I think I found a solution to the problem last night (and was just about to post)...

The Windows 2008 R2 Print server is part of a Windows 2003 AD domain.

I found a group policy (legacy) that was being applied to the server. It was a straightforward GPO "Automatically publish printers in AD". However I was finding that printers were not being publish (I had to do myself). I also found that when this policy ran the server tried to communicate with the physical printers (using the two UPD services Net Driver HPZ12 & Pml Driver HPZ12). With 500 printers it was probably no wonder spoolsv.exe grabbed the CPU resources.

I've no idea why the GPO would kick off the communicating bit (It should only attempt to publish the printers). Maybe there is a slight problem with 2008 member servers in a 2003 AD.

I've now disabled the GPO and spoolsv.exe is not grabbing all the CPU resources.

cheers,

p.s. thanks for the heads up on 5.1

Hi All,
I would be interested in reading the document posted by hpwizzard as I am having so many printing issues with 2008 R2. Is there any chance of reposting the document as the link appears to be dead. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi dtwell99,

I have re-uploaded the docs. again here -->
Also keep an eye out for the next release of HP's UPD v. 5.1.1 that should originally have been released end of August but has been delayed.

The next version should focus on fixing a few of the issues related to :

Long login time for clients with HP printers installed.
Spool server service occupies CPU 100%
Spool crashes
Installation failures related to some CIO .dll files.

Hi hpwizzard,
Many thanks for re-posting, unfortunately when I try to retrive docs I am informed they have already been deleted. Any chance of msiling me direct? Sorry to be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back