Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Ultra VGA 1280 / Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
My montior is HP Ultra VGA 1280.

I recently reformatted my C drive and reinstalled ME. The resolution was low so I downloaded SVGA from Microsoft and it gives 2 big black bars accross the screen. I tried HPMON downloaded from HP that gives the same result.

Now I cannot even return to the default low resolution settings in the "Device" (don't know what to select).

Help

You need the correct graphics driver for your computer. Use Windows Device Manager to identify your graphics and then get the correct driver from the manufacturer's support site.

Regards: tf1

Where to identify "Graphics" driver under "Device Manager"?

Also, how to set to the default Display so that I can at least work on the PC? Thx.

Ah! MS conveniently call the graphics device a 'Display Adapter' - which is correct except most people call it a graphics card! Anyway, look under Display Adapter and it should tell you what you have got.

If you're wondering how to get to Device Manager, right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, select Properties and then click the Device Manager tab.

Hello,

Thanks for all input.

I used to have higher resolution before I reformat and reinstall ME.

And I sort of remember (years back) a HP tech support helped to changed the driver(s) - not sure if it is the driver for Adapter or Monitor or Both.

Here is current setting and would like help to upgrade to higher resolution.

Adapter:
Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Hareware versoion: 4.0
Current fiels: vga.drv,*vdd
(Location of driver c:\windows\system\vga.drv)

Monitor:
HP D2818 Ultra VGA 1280 17-inch Display
Automactially detect Plug&Play monitors
Reset dispaly on suspened/resume
(Location of driver c:\windows\system\inf\other\Hewlett-Packardhpmon_XX.inf)

Well you are using the standard Windows VGA adapter driver and not the driver that you should be using. Find out what Display Adapter you have installed and get the correct driver and install it. I' stated this in my first replay and we still seem to be waffling on about it.HPMON has nothing to do with this problem. All that does is tell Windows which monitor is attached so that only correct refresh rates are available.

What device is listed under Display Adapter?

Sorry for the confusion. I was combining information from the "Device Manager" and "Display Property" in my last message.

So in "Device Manager"

Dispaly Adapter
Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
(using C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VGA.DRV)

Monitor
HP D2818 Ultra VGA 1280 17-inch Display
(driver Location
c:\windows\system\inf\other\Hewlett-Packardhpmon_XX.inf)

Unless your PC was made in the 19th Century, it MUST have a display adapter and needs a driver for it. Windows is mis-identifying the Disply Adapter, which is why it is installing the default VGA driver (the same driver it uses in Safe Mode).

You need to identify which display adapter is installed in your computer. I presume it is an HP PC? It shouldn't be too difficult to go to Support and find the correct driver for the PC to download and install.

tf1,

Thanks. My desktop is HP Kayak XA (And you are correct it was made in 19th century - PC years.)

I checked HP site before posting the original question. The nitch is ME is not officially supported by HP. And I was just wondering what driver I was using to get the high resolution before I reformat C drive and reinstall ME.

HP has 2 utilities download for window2000. Do you think any of these would do the trick?

Also, should I look under window98 in stead 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back