Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Switch and Cisco Switch question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPeebles

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
US
Our sister company located in another state is using Cisco Switches on their network. We are connected to them at our routers through a T-1 connection. At my company location we are proposing to purchase hp procuve switches for our LAN. Will there be any issues with the different switches on two LANs connected only at the router through a T-1? Please help

Don't do it. There are very few HP experts out there. We are having great difficulty getting cisco and hp to work over a gig fiber link. I hope you don't plan on bridging between your two sites.

Cheers,

Jim

I disagree with kmg365. The only kit I've found more compatible with Cisco than HP is Cisco. HP even runs CDP!

Hello CPeebles -

kgm365 wrote "Don't do it..." and made a claim of Cisco-ProCurve gig fiber problems. But this claim, if true, is irrelevant to your scenario because you will not have ProCurve switches connected to Cisco devices through Gig-fiber. Your connections will be:

ProCurve--10/100/1000--Router--T1--Router--Cisco

Use ProCurve.

Regards,
Ralph

ralpheb refered to Cisco-ProCurve gigabit fibre problems. This isn't so much a problem with either peice of kit. It is the notoriously bad auto negotiate when both ends are set to auto. Try setting one end, Cisco or HP it really doesn't matter, to fixed speed and let t'other end sort itself out. If that fails try nailing both ends to the same setting.

Works for me every time.

Hello g6udx -

It was kgm365, not me, who brought up the claim of Cisco-ProCurve auto-negotiation problems over Gig-fiber. I know of no such problems. The point I made was that any gig-fiber interoperability problems between these vendors' devices, if true, are irrelevant to this discussion.

Regards,
Ralph

Hi ralpheb

Your quite right on both points. Guess I read it all too quickly. My appologies.

kmg365 wrote "Don't do it. There are very few HP experts out there." This for sure is incorrect. In fact HP will not only install, configure but manage your network...if it has HP, Cisco and other Multivendor equip. We are a big player in the Networking arena. I should know, it's what I do all day! Get HP involved from the beginning and you can't loose! Regards-Hpgirl

I agree with the above pro HP replies. HP is very good kit and continually whips Cisco in independant reviews such as Tolly. Lifetime warranty is also quite attractive. I have had Cisco and HP on same LAN with no probs (apart from auto neg on Gig links!!), connecting across a WAN removes all interoperability issues.

Andy
CCNP, NNCSS, FNCNE

Thx for the heads up. I'm a little fish hoping to become a big one, and it's good to know the quirks as well as the therum.

--CCNP(Yea!) MCP

you can't beat cisco routers but hp makes a very nice switch like redCTR said life warranty is hard to passup

gunthnp

Can some one help me with this. I get a ping time out every now and then on my HP procurve switch. I took a look at the log and saw this
Saved Crash Information (most recent first):

SubSystem 0 went down: 01/01/90 01:41:24
Bus error: HW Addr=0x40000180 IP=0x002960f0 PCW:0x00000003 ACW:0x00001004 Task=
pfp: 0x00af1c00 sp:0x00af1c80 rip:0x002960f0
Can anyone tell me what to do please?

mailkano -

You should contact HP ProCurve Support for an issue like this.

You did not say where you are located. If you are in the Americas, you can find the Support contact information at On that same Web page is a link "Country-specific support contact information".

Ralph

Always set Duplex on both ends, if you only set one end, the other will try and negotiate, when no signal is received for the first setiing, ie, 1gb full, it will set itself to 1gb h/d. Guarenteed, that is how autonegotiate works. For it to work, it MUST get a signal from the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back