Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP SureStor 818 backup speed issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2000
US
Hi, All
my HP SureStor 818 which I recall is a DLT8000 therefore I should be getting about 6 MB/Sec which equates to about 20 GB/h, however I'm only getting about 5 GB/h .The tape unit is connected to an Adaptec 2944UW controller, perhaps my backup speed is a result of incorrect SCSI settings etc.. What are some of the setting be should verified ? (enable or disable) etc..

Thanks!
Darren

Darren,
go into the Scsi card bios at power up and check that the card is set for wide negotiation and the transfer speeds are at the highest for all scsi id's. that is a good place to start

Hi, tapedrivedoctor..
I verified the recommended settings and those settings are currently set as you suggested . Can you think of any other settings etc or perhaps I should update the tape drive firware, hopefully this may help..??
any other ideas?
Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,
other things to check are that the scsi id's are set with the autoloader at the lowest id and the drive a higher id. verify that the scsi cables are correctly orientated. Host to AUTOLOADER then to the drive, termination at the drive. Make sure you are using DLT IV media. Download HP LTT diagnostic program. There are some tests which will verify your drive. You can also check if you have the latest firmware in your drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back