Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP server 9000, disk change

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosnarsisa

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2004
EC
Please, we have a HP 9000 server, but this is bad.
We need to change the disks to other HP 9000 like this.
The problem is the new HP 9000 server no start whith the disks. We configure the disks and the first device boot, but don´t work.

Att.
Carlos Guayasamin

Need a little more info to help you here....

What server - N class, L class, 8400 ???

What happens when you power up, could you copy so error messages.

It boots part way ???

Thanks,

Martin

The server is HP 9000 800 A400
The server only boot whith original new disk, but when I put the other disk, no boot. This disk boot in the bad server.
The server start and stop in error:
0x002000E663FF405F 00000000 00000000 - type 0 = Data Field Unused
0x582008E663FF405F 00006505 170E1A26 - type 11 = Timestamp 06/23/2001 14:26:38
A: ack read of this entry - X: Disable all future alert messages
Anything else skip redisplay the log entry
->Choice:

It looks like there is no boot dta on the disk - if the machine boots from one disk, then you need to ensure it is mirrored, for it to bot off the second.

I presume you are expecting the server to be able to boot from both disks?

Thanks,

Martin

Please Martin
How y ensure if it is mirrored, or How I do it?

Att.

Carlos

With the system up, run :

lvdisplay /dev/vg00/lvol3

You will get an output similar to below, look at line Mirror Copies - should be 1. You really need to check all the logicals volumes in the volume group.

--- Logical volumes ---
LV Name /dev/vg00/lvol3
VG Name /dev/vg00
LV Permission read/write
LV Status available/syncd
Mirror copies 1
Consistency Recovery MWC
Schedule parallel
LV Size (Mbytes) 256
Current LE 32
Allocated PE 64
Stripes 0
Stripe Size (Kbytes) 0
Bad block off
Allocation strict/contiguous
IO Timeout (Seconds) default

Thanks Martin, but I not expecting the server to be able to boot from both disks. My disk on my bad HP 9000 boot fine, but When I change this disk to my new HP this not boot. How can I do it?.

Att.
Carlos

Sorry, I mis-understood -

you have a HP server that won't boot, but you have data on this disk you need?

you have another HP server that will boot, and you want to use the disk from the bad server in this server.

Thanks,

Martin

Thanks Martin
The problem is:

I have a HP server that boot, but it don´t work fine because it have a mother board with problems, the disk is good.
I have another HP server, and I want to use the disk from the bad server in this server, but when I put the disk in the new server this don´t boot.

Ok, right, I understand. Some ideas ...

I presume you have data on this disk you want, or perhaps it is a bigger disk then you have in your working server?

The good server must have identical, or similar hardware to the broken server. eg, a disk from an N-class will not work in an A-class.

You could just install the disk and re-install the o/s.

When the motherboard broke, it may have corrupted the disk.

If you the good server boots ok, why not install the disk and import the volume groups to get at your data.

Martin

Ok Martin thanks.
The two servers are the same class A.

Att.
Carlos

Ok, so my first guess is that the disk is corrupt somewhere, when you tried to boot off it, did you replace the normal boot disk of the system, or install it as another drive?

If installed as an addtional drive, did you specifiy the correct boot path?

If installed in place of the original boot disk, then this would not be an issue, and failure to boot is likely to be something wrong on the disk.

Also, why do you want to boot off this disk ???

When you get the error message, did you press A/a to accept, you sometimes have to press A/a lots of times. You may find that if you do this the server will actually boot???

Get back to me on these points and we'll go from there.

It may be necessary to install the disk as a second disk, and then boot off the working disk. You may then be able to mount the faulty disk to see if it can be repaired. I'll have to check a few things for this, as I've not done it for a while - but I think it should be possible to run the nessary commands to make the disk bootable again, if this is the issue.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back