Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Scanners on ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

xceler8

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US

I have an HP Scanjet 6200C and a Scanjet 4C. I just received a brand new cd for the drivers on the 6200 (from HP themselves) and tried installing it on Windows ME. (HP says the drivers work with all Windows products including ME) Everything goes great except the computer will not recognize the scanner. I insatlled the 6200 on a Win98 machine, and everything is peachy keen.
Next I try to install the 4C on the WinME machine, and guess what... same results. Both scanners work on Win98 just fine, but neither scanner is recognized by WinME.I also tried installing these two scanner on a different machine with WinMe on it, but they still are not recognized. Is there a certain little something I am missing or are all the horror stories I have heard about Windows ME and driver problems true?

I have the Scanjet 4c and it works fine on Win ME.
I believe I went to the HP web site and got the latest drivers for ME use.

I had this problem on my Dell running Windows ME and a Mustek 1200 III scanner. The solution was to enter the BIOS (usually an F key on start-up, the screen should say which one) and change the parallel port to EPP. I don't know if this will work for you but it is worth a try. Good Luck!

I had a similar prolonged problem with an HP 4100C scanner and it was not until HP posted their most recent update (sj398en.exe - a completely new 34MB PrecisionScan) that I was able to get it going. In the case of the 4100C, I removed all references to 4100C and PrecisionScan in Explorer and Registry and closed all programs via msconfig; shutdown; disconnected the scanner; rebooted; installed the software; rebooted; shutdown; connected the scanner; rebooted; reactivated programs via msconfig, and lo and behold all features of the scanner worked once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back