Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Scanner Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBtheFox

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
...I hope this is the right forum, I couldn't find anything on scanners.

I have a HP Scanjet 5300C scanner, and have had it for about four years. Recently I got a new computer which took me from a ME OS to a 2000 Pro. I've installed the software, and I've plugged in the scanner, but my Win 2000 doesn't seem to want to put the two together.

My software was designed for ME, and I -think- that getting an installation disk for 2000 Pro would help solve this. Does anyone know if this -would- fix the problem? If so, anyone know where I could get the disk; if not, anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

If the scanner's software is designed to work only with Win ME, then the scanner will not work on a Win 2000 system.

However, some websites state that the O/S system requirements for that scanner are Win 95/98, NT, and 2000 Pro.
So it's possible that the software CD contains Win 2000 drivers. Press and hold the Ctrl key while inserting the CD, open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive that contains the CD, and click Explore. If it shows a Win 2000 folder, then the drivers are there for that O/S and you should be able to install them. But uninstall the Win ME drivers first.
If there is no Win 2000 folder, then you may be able to d/l the Win 2000 drivers from the HP site.

Hummm... I've got a Win2kDLL folder, but no ME folder, yet the computer still claims it cannot find a file to install. I'll go poke around HP's site a while longer, it does say it's Win2000 compatible. Thank you for your help!

Thanks, Murray. I've already got that file, it came with my installation disk. Hopefully I'll find what I'm missing soon.

...this is strange. Now I am having the same problem with my Sony Cyber Shot camera. I know I have the drivers for this, and I know it is win 2000 compatible. It will recognize the hardware, but will not recognize a driver. It simply says one cannot be found, even though it is, in fact, on the disk.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back