Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Recovery CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkrider

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have a co-worker whose HP Media Center m270n stopped functioning properly. It starts and prompts the user to insert boot media. Supposedly, HP creates a recovery partition that one can use to restore the PC using the F10 key during post. That partition (which shows as C) when I boot from another CD appears to have nothing on it. He purchased the recovery CDs from HP (a set of 7), but it does not recognize the first CD as bootable media. I also tried pressing F10 to start the recovery with the Disk in the CD drive, but it still gives the same message (insert boot media). Is anyone aware of how to get the system recovery to initiate? The CD has no execubatle (that I could find) that would launch a recovery.

drunkrider,
With the Restore CD in the drive, press ESC key during boot and it may give you a boot option menu to boot from cd or try changing the boot order in the bios.

.....or do as Micker377 suggested and contact HP Support.

It has been attempting to boot from the CD, so the BIOS settings are not the problem. I have successfully booted form another CD. The PC is out of warranty, so HP support will not point me in any direction. I was hoping someone might have run across a similar situation and is aware of a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back