Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP published list of printers that work with TS/Citrix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told to never download drivers from HP in a Citrix environment or BSOD's would occur. Opinions?
*J*

That was true in the past. Citrix would only play nice with the drivers that were included on the Windows 4.0 TSE or 2000 server CD, in the i386 folder. You could often "map" a certain printer driver to another "friendly" driver.

Some drivers from the HP site were safe, usually the ones labeled "enterprise version" or something like that.

If you check that link, those are the drivers that are Citrix friendly. HP has gone a long way to recognize our problems, and now are catering to the thin client world.

John

the safe way is only use hardware listed in Microsoft HCL,
if it is too late, use Universal Printer Driver.

I have a bad experience with HP printer drivers...
expecially when they differentiate the driver for WinXP and W2K.

HP has acknowledged the problems with printerdrivers in the older printermodels they made. However they guaranteed that all the drivers they nowadays put on the internet to download are Citrix-proof. However use the list, Citrixengineer published above, if you have old printers. This to assure that those printerdrivers do not crash your server.

Thanks for all the excellent information.
*J*

SeanFlynn refers to a file called WTSUPRN.TXT which you can use as directed in MS knowledgebase article Q221509. Basically the user connects a "Acme UnstablePrint 5000" to their PC, starts up a terminal server session, but the server uses a nice safe driver e.g. HP LJ 4 when it autocreates a printer.

Note that editing the wtsuprn.inf/txt file only applies to MetaFrame 1.8. In MetaFrame XP, all mapping is done in the CMC, which takes control of this file so that if you do edit it, the edits are overwritten.

Citrix are also "doing their bit" by writing a basic "Universal Printer Driver" - which is OK for most monochrome applications. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

With the release of Feature Release 3 for MFXP, Citrix has upgraded the universal printerdriver to also support color printers and 600 DPI printers... It will be released early next year I believe.

Or just use a third party printing solution. I use Universal Printer from Emergent OnLine ( and am happy with it. Another similar product is Screwdrivers from Tricerat Software ( Either product eliminates the need for installing printer drivers on the Citrix server; it passes the print job down to the locally installed printer driver on the client machine. I believe both products to be about $700 - $800 per server with no charge for the clients.

Is the printer driver mapping works for network printers also ? My experience, it does not. It works fine for local client printers but not for network printers. Can anybody tell me how to do printer driver mapping for network printers in Metaframe XP?

Looking to find Printer Drivers for Citrix 1.8 and Toshiba 5570 and 6570 Printer/Copiers.

tagwim,

I would recommend first attempting to install the NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 printer drivers (depending on your Citrix server's OS) from Toshiba on the MetaFrame server. If this doesn't work or causes problems on the server I'd always try mapping the good ol' HP LaserJet 4 driver. That works 90% of the time although you won't have advanced features specific to the Toshiba printers available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back