Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Procurve Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennislyon

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
US
I'm starting to have problems with my Cisco 6500 core switch. Does anyone recommend a HP Procurve solution? If so, which one would be comparable to the 6500?

Thanks.

The "biggest" switch HP has at the moment is the 8200zl series. You didn't mention what options/blades your running in the 6500 or require (how much port density, WLAN controller, Firewall, etc...). The 8200 has blade options for many things like that as well, so you'll have to expound on that if you want.

Also, all of HP's switches are lifetime NBD warranty without having to purchase contracts every year. They do offer 4 hour response that can be purchased if need be.

Lastly, with HP buying 3COM here shortly, I'm sure there will be some addition to their product line this time next year if not sooner.

I don't know how much the 8200 is, but I've just started working on a core consisting of 2x procurve 5400s.
2x 5412s cost them less than a pair of Cisco 3750Gs would have, and the 10Gb modules & SFPs come to a tiny fraction of what Cisco ones would cost.

They support VRRP, too, although it doesn't seem to be as good an implementation of it as you get on Nortel 1600/8600s.

So depending on your budget - you should be able to get plenty more bang for your buck if you're going for HP.

The downside of course is you get more bugs with HP than Cisco (although not as much as you get with Nortel!).

Hi all,

Could you please help me this !
Does HP Procurve switch 4200lv support NAT and PAT?
I read many document about HP Procurve, but I couldn't find 4200lv either support NAT & PAT or not !

Thanks and Best Regards,
Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back