Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP procurve 2524

Status
Not open for further replies.

maleal

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
Hello,

from HP documentation I read that HP procurce 2524 is a swicth. However I'm having some discussions with a friend saying that we have our procurve configured as a hub and not as a switch...
My understanding, from HP documentation, is that 2524 is a swicth and works always a switch; and it isn't possible to configure it as a hub. Moreover, 2524 is configuration is completely automatic. Only the switch monitoring and statistics are configurable. Are my thoughts correct or not?
Thanks in advance,
Miguel

Hello Maleal -

The Procurve Switch 2524 is a switch. Look at which says, "low-cost, stackable, managed 24- and 12-port switches...".

You cannot configure this switch as a hub.

Regarding its configurability, if you look at the manual at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59692354.pdf, chapters 5, 6, 8, and 9, you will see that there are about 185 pages of discussion about various features that you can configure, including Spanning Tree Protocol, VLANs, IGMP, IP Stack Management, GVRP, IP configuration, port trunking, port security, SNMP, and other features.

While this switch works well in its default state, you have lots of choices if you wish to modify the default configuration.

Regards,
Ralph

I have this same switch, how do i get to the menu to configure it? Do i telnet to a certain IP address? This is my first switch.

You can telnet to the switch or use a serial console connection using Hyperterminal and type menu at the prompt.

This will give you a menu to configure the switch, but you have the flexibility to configure using the CLI (command line interface).

Referance the manual for all the commands and features. Its pretty easy to get some pretty powerful things done on this switch.

good luck

I can for some reason not download the procurve 2524 manuals from hp`s ftp. Does any of you know of a mirror site, or maybe know an other location?

I just tried to download the manuals from HP's ftp and
I downloaded it with no problems at all.
Problably you can not download the files because of some problem or security reason in your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back