Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Printer Controls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissyEd

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2000
GB
Anyone know how I can read the current printer status e.g if a bin is empty, if a tray is empty, and set stuff like for the next document use A4 etc ? PJL doesnt seem to cover this. Missy Ed - Bolton, UK

I think you need to use PCL commands instead of using PJL, as PJL can not be used for setting input source or output bin. Read more here about common PCL here: For an overview of common PJL commands go here :
The status of the printer can also be viewed via HP`s WebJetAdmin software or via HP printerstatus monitor that are available for several printers like fx. the LaserJet 4100 printer as Printing System software. Look on HP`s pages for a Printing System software for you HP printer if it is available here :

Thanks hpWizzard - was very helpful :) Missy Ed - Bolton, UK

Were you able to get this to work? I need to print two documents to an HP LJ4100tn. I need to set the Print Quality, number of copies, and the tray it uses. I also need to set which printer to use WITHOUT changing the user's default printer, so the script that is run would need to accept the printer name as an arguement. Report 1 needs to print two copies, collate OFF, best quality with economode, and print to the tray that contains the letter size paper and the paper type plain. Report 2 needs to print with 300 dpi print quality, 1 copy, and to the tray that contains paper size letter, paper type labels. All help greatly appreciated!

PS this would also work if I could just get it to use the QuickSet settings, which include all of the above settings.

Hi

We ran into some difficulties embedding the code, so we used API calls instead. We can switch printers, trays and find out the status of the printer. It's not perfect but works well with the HP 5si drivers. Missy Ed - Bolton, UK

How were you able to do this? i've tried using the API calls, but always seem to run in to issues. Could I maybe see your code? please?

I'll check with my boss, cos I understand they are looking to sell the solution. If there are no probs, I'll post some of the code.

Cheers

Dee Missy Ed - Bolton, UK

okay let me know. I have been able to get some of this working. I have gone so far as to use Shellexecute to print my pdf document. I have also tried using the APIs to set printer and printer properties, but the API does not allow me to set the correct printer and the correct properties AND print the document to that printer with those properties. I can get pieces working separately, but getting all to work togeher is the issue.

Hi BMooreDE,

Unfortunately, I cant go into detail about the solution due to it being packaged as a commercial solution with some of our other software. I beleive Merrion computing has a forum with v.good stuff on printing. Check them out. Missy Ed - Bolton, UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back