Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Printer 8150 PS printing slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOK

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2003
US
I have a 2000 server connected to a HP 8150n printer using a JetDirect 610 card (10/100). Recently the printer began to print considerabely slower when printing with the PS driver, which is vital to this organization. We added more memory into the printer, upgraded the hub to a switch, moved the card from one slot to another, and upgarded the firware on the JetDirect. I also used the JetDirect client software to connect the workstations to the server directly. the printer appears to be receiving the data, it just paused every few pages. There is enough memory in it to hold six of the 58 PDF we are printing. Any suggestions

thanks,

SMOK

How did you setup the PC's to print to these printers ?

They are now connecting to the server using a local IP port. I used the HP JetDirect Client Wizard to create the port and connect to the printer.

Ok that is the problem...

I had the same issue and I fixed it using this method.

Since you are sending Postscript.. I recommend these steps

1. Install the printer driver on your server first. Either use the HP software or Local port (Standard TCP/IP PORT) and add the printer's IP there.

2. Share the printer on the server and list it in the active directory if you have AD installed. (there should be a check box for that in the printer settings)

Remove the printer driver from the PC's.

3. Go to the workstations and browse the network and double click on your Server. You should see the shared printer. Double click on this printer and click yes to install the driver on the PC.

This printing works faster since the jobs are spooled on the server and server handles it well.

Good luck and hope this solves your problem

That was the original set-up and I eliminated the server to see if that caused the problem. The printer reacted the same when connected to the server as well.
Here's some info, I moved the printer spooler file to a larger drive and have notified the users to try it. I will find out in a couple of days.

Thanks,

SMOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back