Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Pavilion s 3370

Status
Not open for further replies.

Launcelot

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
Is there anyone out there (uk) who has a recovery disk
for a HP s3370 or who knows how I might get round the problem.

Using F11 doesn't take me to the recovery screens, and yes
I acknowledge I should have created the disk on day 1.

If I could boot it with, say, a linux disk, would it be possible to copy the contents of the recovery partition
and reinstall from that?

Thanks for any help.

Geoff

Using F11 doesn't take me to the recovery screens". Did you try F10 too?

"The system can be restored to factory settings through this partition by pressing F10 or F11 repeatedly while the PC is booting"

Obtaining a Recovery Disc set in Europe, Middle East and Africa

Thanks BBB and Linney for your responses.

I've had to back-burner BBB's suggestion, as I cannot boot
the PC into anything other than a blue screen with a
cursor.

F10 opens the bios screens.

The order process for replacement disks is a bit unreliable,
but I just managed to complete a transaction and will
wait in hope.

Geoff

The machine starts the boot process, produces a plain blue screen with the cursor arrow and then does nothing else, although the disk light flashes from time to time.

If I try to boot into safe mode, the list of files appears as though it is going to work ok. Then the black screen with 'safe mode' appears and nothing else happens -

My guess is that the kernel is corrupt or some crucial basic driver (maybe the video driver)file is corrupt. I wish there was a version of MSDOS that supports ntfs, then at least I could poke around a bit.

I await the recovery disks.

Geoff

Ok, usually that screen is black, hence the confusion...

The kernel is ok, and it is most likely a driver issue, but not the video, as it is happening in Safe Mode as well...

in the F8 Menu, have you tried the LAST KNOWN GOOD option or the System Recovery?

once you have the Recovery CD, try the suggestion by firewolfrl in this thread: thread1583-1565170

before you reload the system...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for staying with the thread.

I should have said that the system goes through the " windows is loading" process before the plain blue screen appears.
Also that the cursor is active in the sense that it moves with the mouse but nothing else happens except the HDD light flashes.

I've received the recovery dvd and tried out the recovery procedure. The dvd start the process of loading windows just like the HDD (I know it's the DVD loading windows because it is quite slow and the DVD drive runs) and then gets no further than the plain blue screen.

I'm wondering if it is a problem with the HDD. Just out of warranty too!

Do you know of a standalone HDD test routine?

Geoff

Hard drive manufacturers have free diagnostic and bootable software on their sites to thoroughly check the condition of the hard drive.

Here is a comprehensive list of manufacturers and their DIAG software:

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

and if you are not sure who made the HDD, then take a look at SeaTools, it is one of the few that checks other manufacturers drives as well (simple tests if I remember correctly)...

Also that the cursor is active in the sense that it moves with the mouse
Ah, the mouse pointer does appear, that could explain the blue screen as being the background color...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks again for your replies.

The situation has taken a peculiar turn.

I created a paragon recovery cd from another vista pc and
tried it on the hp. It booted fine and I was able to examine the vista partition - it seemed ok.

Next I got hold of an XP install disk and booted that - it
all looked ok and allowed me to use the recovery console to
access some files. I assumed from this that the hdd was
not the cause of the problems.

Then, flushed with success, I got hold of a vista install
disk. It went through the initial 'windows is loading files'
and then hung on a black screen with a moveable cursor.

It is as though the system doesn't recognize some absolutely fundamental part of vista.

I'm pretty flummoxed. The bios doesn't appear to be
anything special - just the usual options.

I could understand the need to load some drivers at an early stage in the boot process when using the vista install disk, but I don't have any dialogue that permits it.

Any further thoughts, guys?

Geoff

As you can't boot other than in Recovery Console. Why don't you try creating a BartPE CD and run that on your machine.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD). If it fails to run it might give you some reason as to any failure. If it does run then you can save your files to USB.

After saving everything then it might be time to Format this hard drive, possibly with something that is a bit more sophisticated than Windows formatting tools.

Link to DBAN Disk Wiping Software:

After a thorough format you can then try Vista again. Don't format any Recovery Partition, just the C: drive.

Hi Linney - I don't know if you have yet resolved your issue but I have just experienced the exact same issue as you have - today after having gone through several steps with HP technical support they have determined my hard drive has failed - I am not convinced this is the case - if you have got any further with yours please could you update the thread - I would be most grateful - thanks.

Sorry - I meant to address post to Launcelot!!

Have you tried removing all the easily disconnected hardware peripherals that are attached to the machine (and that are not needed to complete the actual installation) to see if that makes any difference?

Hi Guys

Thanks for keeping the thread going. I've had to put the problem on hold because of other commitments. I'll try to take another look this weekend.

Like you, K1203, I find it difficult to believe that it is the hard drive, because it seemed to find files when I first investigated it. However, as part of the initial
process I formatted the partition and this seemed to take no time at all, following which there are no files on it.
Also, when I load an XP install disc, it looks quite normal and seems to indicate that I can go ahead with the install (haven't yet, but might do). A Vista install disc just goes into outer space.

When searching the web about this in the early stages, I came across some reference to resetting the bios by manipulating a jumper, but I can't find that now. I wondered if it is an issue with the sata disc driver, but the vista install disc should be able to cope with this.

Geoff

I know this has been discussed very early on in the piece but are you sure you have not fully explored the options available to you via the Recovery Partition?

Is the Recovery Partition still in existence are the necessary files in place?

From this document comes the following advice.

"If Windows Vista cannot open and if the Recovery partition on the hard disk drive is functioning properly, you can perform a System Recovery by performing the following procedure:
NOTE: If the RECOVERY or FACTORY_IMAGE partitions on the hard drive have been deleted OR the files in these partitions have been deleted, these steps will not work. You must use recovery discs.

Turn off the computer if it is not already off.
Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax. Remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.

******Turn on the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly , about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens******".

Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista

Before you completely give up on the Recovery Partition, see if you can get some hope and solutions from this post?

HP Recovery Manager Help Needed!!!

Workarounds involve making the Recovery Partition Active, using Alt+F11, or renaming the Partition to D. Like I indicated it may offer you a little bit of hope where none existed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back