Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Pavilion dv5000 Laptop - USB Ports Not Working - Part II 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

frechetn

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
US
This is a follow up on a similarly title subject.

I too have a HP Pavilion DV5000 Laptop which is running Windows XP.

When any USB device is plugged into either left-side USB port, the devices are not recognized.

When a USB device is plugged into the right-side USB port, some devices have limited functionally. For instance a USB keyboard is detected and allows lower case characters to be typed. When the CAPS-lock is depressed, the USB connection appears to reset itself. Other devices are not detected (ie: USB Mouse, USB Flash Drive, USB Web Cam, etc...). Connecting an externally powered USB hub to the right-side USB port, enables USB devices to work. Not so for the two left-side USB ports.

Now I have taken this a step further and disassembled the laptop down to the main board and media board. A visual inspection of the individual components near the USB ports revealed that the same SOT23-5 (U28 and U1, respectively) components were electrically damaged (burnt) due to excessive current draw from a USB device. Based on how the components are wired into their circuits and a little electronics know-how, the devices appear to be a Analogic Tech Current Limited Load Switch (Part number: AAT4610AIGV-T1 or AAT14610BIGV-T1).

Although I haven't done so yet, I'd like to replace the damaged components to see if this fixes the USB issue for all three ports. Now I've just got to find a source for the replacement parts.

I'll post back if I'm successful.

Thanks.

Correction, second part number should have been AAT4610BIGV-T1.

Here is the only place I can see to buy them in less than 3000 in a package. Ive never bought from them tho, I usually go with digikey.com but they dont seem to have this part.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Thanks for the information. I'll give them a try.

Both USB ports are operational again after replacing both AAT4610AIGV-T1 (U1 of the USB/Audio Board and U28 of the System Board). Both circuits had some pad and trace damage that needed to be repaired too.

DrB0b's suggested source was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back