Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Pavilion doesnt boot correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haggard112984

Programmer
Dec 1, 2004
US
My family has a house computer (my old computer) that hasnt worked in over two years. The computer itself is about 5 years old maybe 6. Its a HP Pavilion 6740C running with Windows 98. Up until yesterday the computer wouldnt start, but I used the recovery disk and earsed the hard drive and reinstalled all defaults. Now the computer starts but when I boot up the computer first brings me to a screen that reads the following:

"PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright
Version 1.12

CPU = Intel (R) Celeron (TM) Processor 667 MHz
319M System RAM passed
0128K Cache SRAM passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper unit segment adress: E84D
Mouse intialized
Fixed Disk 0: QUANTUN FIREBALL 1ct1015
ATAPI CD-ROM: LG CD-RW CED-8083B
WARNING
ERROR

Resource Conflict - PCI SLOT 03
Bus:01, Device:0B, Function: 06

Press <F1> Setup <F2> Resume"

Then when I choose F2 (resume) the computer goes to another screen and runs a test thing then boots up. The computer starts up fine but after logging into Windows I get an error message that reads:

"The following error occured while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has occured."

When I select 'ok' the computer boots and runs fine. Does anybody know why the computer does this and how to fix this problem?

It appears that there's an IRQ conflict with a network card.
If the network card is not being used, then shut down, remove the power cord, remove the network card, restart, and see if that helps.

Make sure the BIOS is set for a plug and play OS (there is an option) and if that does not work try resetting the CMOS. (after following ski's advice)

PCI 1 is the closest to the power supply, what is in number 3? Do you have any more open PCI slots? If so (if ski's tip works), try the card in a different slot.

thanks ski, i remved the network card and now everything boots without errors......

You're welcome.
Glad to hear that you solved the problem, and thanks for postig back with the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back