Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP openview 6.31

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmccormic

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
I am requesting help with a new install, I am new to openview and will have many questions, I will say that I will look forward to any helpful feed back, thank you in advance. My question is I have a home grown alarm system, and I am trying to get hp openview 6.31 to forward alarms to a non ip compatable device. I am looking for a serial or parallel connect to perform this. I am looking for any suggestions, Thank you.

If you are using HP OpenView on a Sun Solaris system,
this is fairly straight forward.

1 Connect a null modem serial cable from the UNIX platform to the other platform.
2 Configure the serial ports to talk using the same baud and parity settings (Solaris offers a GUI called admintool: admintool->browse->serial_ports )
3 For each entry you want to forward, configure the event in the alarm browser, echo the components directly to the serial device ( echo "$1\t$2\t$3" > /dev/ttya ) EMS Architect

I am running this on a Windows NT 4 box, I am connecting it to a serial interface at 9600 baud and 8,N,1, I can configure the serial port on the Nt box for these setting but not sure how I would forward alarms from openview to the serial port to have them forwarded to the other device. Please help, very important, thank you in advance.

U can do this on NT using a batch file. U have to know a little bit, of batch programming. Same as unix, get the necessary OV parameters into a NT batch file, Then u can forward it ! U can get a third party utility also for this.

DO you know of a third party vendor that provides this function, if need be I can get a batch file created but I would need to know the OV parameters needed, can anyone provide these, please. Any and all help greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back