Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Omnibook 900 a formerly win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHUDDLES

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
US
HP Omnibook 900

a formerly win98 PC

trying to install win2k on it --

gets to the stage
"installing Devices...screen may flicker momentarily..."

well - half-way thru the bar on that -- the screen goes BLANK and just never comes back

hard drive keeps working away -

I can even see the CD-ROM (filled with 2000 setup cd) lighting up occasionally

but I NEVER GET CONTROL of PC again

you can either restart from Hard Drive - cycle thru "continuing Windows Setup" only to fail at same exact place
or you can power down totally and boot from CD - start setup ALL OVER or else "Repair"

but it matters not --

gets to the stage
"installing Devices...screen may flicker momentarily..."

and then it goes out

and that's it

I have gone into BIOS setup and disabled every "sleep mode" type option I can see...

no luck

Have you checked for bios updates?
Maybe???

I made BIOS changes in the SETUP pressing F2 and changing this - changing that -- 17 times til I finally landed on something that allowed Win2k setup to proceed past the point where it was blanking out

jest trial and error

"save changes and reboot"

til it worked

You have to go to the hp.com site to download the ACPI BIOS/HPCI Driver (remember to read instructions first) for your notebook, and start from there, all drivers needed for your notebook are there . Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back