Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP OfficeJet G85 Paper Feed Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetma

Technical User
May 27, 2004
US
Hi - I have an HP Office Jet G85, and am having an intermittent problem with the paper feed. The suggestion I initially received was that a metal piece associated with the paper lifter might have been dislodged, and if so would be loose in the bottom of the printer. I checked that out and it was not the case.

However, after fiddling around in the back of the printer to check out the above suggestion, and then giving up, the paper lifter began working again - it made a "twang"/springy sound before lifting up. I assume it may only be a matter of time before it stops workin again - probably when I have some impending deadline. Any ideas what is causing this?

One more note - prior to the initial problem occuring , I noticed a slight squeak/grating sound when the paper was being fed. This sound has since gone away, but not related to the timing of any maintenance/work I've done. FYI, I did recently clean the rollers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Janet

Try a clutch release on the unit, see if it helps. It should basically reset all the gears, paper feed mechanisms back to normal. Does NOT help if it is a hardware problem.

1. Unplug the units cables (both power and computer connectivity).

2. Open up the carriage access door, locate the clutch. It's a white piece of wedge shaped plastic right below the silver bar on the left hand side of the printer, right below a screw.

3. Take off the rear access door and turn the unit 90 degrees.

4. Push the clutch toward the back of the unit and hold it there. While your holding the clutch in use your free hand to roll the rollers at the back in an upward motion for at least 4-5 rotations.

5. Release the clutch and then continue to roll the rear wheels in an upward motion for at least 4 more rotations. You should hear a mechnical "boing" when you first start to roll the rollers up.

6. Plug everything back in, print a test page and see if it is still a problem.

During this the "paper lifter" should lift up and down (in step 4). If for some reason it is the mechanism itself, like the spring is damage, you can always order another part for it at the have diagrams and so forth to make sure you get the right part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back