Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Network Printer Manager question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjags

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
I've taken over support on a SCO unix server that has a network printer set up. From the unix box I can print test pages. From the Windows boxes I can see the Unix printer in the Network Neighborhood, and can set it up as a printer. However, when I print test pages, or any other print job to it, it doesn't print. I've never used this feature before, so what do I need to check?

First question is : are you running samba, AFPS or visionfs?
one of these is necessary for the printer to show in
network neighborhood.

The network and Unix box are running Facetwin, which I think?? uses Samba. The Unix printer is visible on the network, just won't print. I checked the printer connection and it is set to '/dev/null'. Is this right??

If you're running Facetwin, Facet Corp has great tech support. They have an 800 number and they will take the time to get it your printers up. Let me know if you can't find the number. I've been using Facetwin for several years and it's worth every penny.

when you say that the unix server has a network printer setup to it...do you mean that the printer is a network printer? with an assigned IP or is it connected directly to an SCO box? and where else are you trying to print from aside from the unix box? windows program?

lpstat -t if it says /dev/null then its configured to be a network printer.

check host file if theres an IP assigned to it.

on windows machince check and see if the printer IP points to the same printer.

lpstat says /dev/null. There is an IP address assigned to it in the hosts file, but it's also directly connected to a serial port on the unix box. What is confusing me is that the printer has both a serial and a parallel connection to it. The parallel connection is to one of the windows machines.

if the windows machines are on the network (meaning with NICs and IPs assigned to them) then you dont need the serial port anymore.

just configure the printer on the windows machine (control panel and printer configuration) and your problem is solved.

you will be able to print from windows, and unix as well (since printer is already configured on the unix box).

im sorry let me stand corrected.

i think i understand your situation now.

what you have is a serial and a parallel printer connected to the server.

not a network printer (ethernet w/nic and IP configured to it)

the reason why youre seeing it on the network neighborhood is probably VISION FS or Samba maybe installed on the unix box.

my suggestion is that...attach a jetdirect print server to the printer and assign and IP to it.

i think that will make your job more simplified.

Yes, I think you're right. I'm just trying to figure out what the previous guy has done and why. Of course, the client tells me that they have never been able to print to that printer unless the local workstation is powered up, so it's not like the serial connection was working before and then something broke that I have to fix.
I think it was just never set up correctly in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back