Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp NetServer LC3 Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac123

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
I attempted to install Kingston Memory Module
KTH6097/256 Equiv HP D6099A to server and server failed to boot Memory
lights for slots were blinking. When removed system booted fine. Is
there something else needed to get these modules to work with the system

or is this simply impossible with out HP memory
has any one had any success intalling non proprietory memory into their netservers

Any help greatly appreciated

It is not suggested by HP to use anything but HP product inside their server product. However, you can utilize clone (Kingston, etc) memory as long as the main stick (#1) is HP memory. Then HP warranty should remain intact on the unit and potential boot up challenges shouldn't occur.

Sue Krautbauer
HP Channel Manager
C-Tech Incorporated
Compaq / Dell / HP / IBM Servers and Parts
131 Cheshire Lane, Suite 100, Minnetonka, MN 55305
952.249.6807 (Direct) | 888.551.3633 (Toll-free) | 952.249.6859 (Fax)
suek@c-techonline.com

lights will blink on the memory slot if any Non-HP memory is used. Check your speed and type of memory to be sure it matches. Also make sure you have it installed in the correct order for this Netserver...ie pairs. Non Hp memory will work, I see it in the servers quite often. As far as HP warranty on the box, adding non-HP memory will not void warranty but if you have a failure due to the non HP memory you could be billed for the service call. I bet though that warranty is expired by now on the LC3.

We recently went through the same problem. Together with Kingston support we could narrow it down to a problem with Micron chips used on Kingston KTH6097/256 modules. Finally had them replaced in field with same type built up on Samsung chips and it worked like a charm right from the start. Kingston declared to update specs. Hope this helps for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back