Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP ML350 and using SATA drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbkelly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2007
US
I have an HP ML350 Server. It originally used 2 mirrored IDE drives to run aix/unix with a specialized software program. I now want to use this server as a disaster continuity and backup server. I will be installing windows sbs 2003 software (I already have this license). I'm thinking of installing SATA drives, but wanted advice on if this was recommended compared to using SCSI hard drives. This wouldn't be a primary server it would be for backup and to use in case of the main server's failure. It will be located at a different site and Data from the main server will be backed up each night over the internet on this server.

Would SATA drives be practical? Fast enough for my use and what kind of options do I have that will work with this computer? What special hardware will I need to purchase to be able to use SATA drives with RAID? Will PCI RAID cards or PCI Express RAID cards work with SATA? I'm not very knowledgable about what hardware I should purchase to enable me to use 5 or more SATA drives in RAID 1 and/or 5 (I usually use RAID1 for OS and RAID 5 for Data). Not sure what RAID level I want to use with this server yet. Any advice will be greatly appreaciated.

SATA drives will be practical, You will not notice much difference in speed of the drives if you are backing up over the internet. Sata drives may have higher failure rates than SCSI but they are much cheaper.

You will need to use a dedicated PCI SATA RAID card to run these drives.

You could go for an external sata enclosure and hook up to the server with a PCI e-SATA host controller. The host controller will need to work with the external ensclosure by using port multiplier technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back