Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp laserjet will not work with remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

theannihilator

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
I installed the latest drivers on both the workstation and server so they will be the same, but it does not work. every time my client connects his workstation to the server via RDC the the HP Laserjet P2015 is the only printer that does not show up. Can someone please help me?

how is the printer config'd... as a f&p share or it ethernet-based? what kind of router, firewall, switch, etc server is used on the LAN/WAN

ethernet based setup on the printer and using terminal services. The setup works on their laserjet 3200.

Hmmm, Assuming you have the printer driver correctly installed, I am wondering what username, user group or workstation the person's RDP session is logging in to.

Have them (or you) log in remote and local & ping the LAN IP addy of the prob printer - see if you/they get a reply.

P2E

atm the term serv hdds gone missing so i have to wait till the new ones come in and everything is set back up. They are in the Domain users group. the drivers are the same and they can print locally using the updated drivers. The term serv is part of a small business server domain. and the workstation logging in remotely is part of a workgroup that is located outside my company's range.

Is the SBS running a local private (LAN) domain? Sounds like it is definitely not the printer driver... verify the user has permission to print via public ip... At this time, the issue sounds like a possible firewall/port issue or a (running) services issue. I am not sure what port is used for remote printers (e.g., 192.168.x.x:3389).

Also, what do you mean the workstation "is a part of a workgroup that is located outside my companies range"???

P2E

I bet the 2015 is using a usb cable and if you are using session printing this usb cable will be the issue.

dberg read previous posts i said it was hooked up via ethernet .
press they are running a 3200 series printer through remote desktop. The computer that i am refering to is a remote office located couple of hundred miles from the main office and only access the home office server through rdc.
and the SBS is a lan domain. We have a term serv that we use for permisions control.

Hmmm, beginning to smell like a local firewall issue...

Not 100% sure, but I believe File and Print Sharing use 139 & 445(TCP) & 137 & 138(UDP).

P2E

i am thinking that it is a printer software issue cause like i said the hp lj 3200 works but not the hp lj p2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back