Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP LaserJet P4014 prints to wrong tray 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlh9

MIS
Jan 6, 2010
US
We have a HP laserJet P4014n with 4 trays. We want to print invoices with three copies, each to a different tray loaded with different color paper. I created three printers one for each tray. I configured each so that each is directed to a different tray. The test pages print to the correct tray(s). When we print from our software all copies print from the bottom tray. When you print the configuration at the printer it prints from the bottom tray. I have downloaded several drivers but nothing changes. What could be the cause and solution?

Did you already have your software application(s) open when you were making the printer changes?

What software are you printing from?

Have you verified that within said program(s), there aren't customizeable settings there, uncontrollable by the printer driver software?

On which OS are you running all of this?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Lower trays are generally default, and you have to specify what tray for the job when starting it every time. The app you use does not keep settings.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Here is an update of my printer tray issue. The software we print from is Traverse accounting software. The software probably was open when making the printer changes. Traverse runs on SQL on the server with a Microsoft Access front end on each client machine. These pcs are running Windows XP. There are two users printing to this printer. On each of their machines I have created 3 printers, one for each tray. On both machines I use the PCL 5 driver. On both machines I have the 1st tray set to print on plain white paper. On both machines I have trays 2 and 3 set to print on color paper. On the printer itself I have set tray 1 to print on plain white paper with trays 2 and 3 set to print on color paper. In Traverse you can direct "forms" (i.e. invoices, picking slips, etc.) to specific printers. The sales order invoice is set to print the first copy to printer tray 1 which has white paper. The second invoice copy is set to print to printer tray 2 which is loaded with yellow paper. The third invoice copy is set to print to printer tray 3 loaded with pink paper. The invoices print correctly pulling from the proper trays no matter which user prints. We have the picking slip set to print the first copy to tray 1 with white paper. We have the second copy set to print to tray 2 loaded with yellow paper. The third picking slip is set to print to tray 3 with pink paper. The picking slips print the first copy correctly to tray 1 with white paper Copies two and three both print from the bottom tray 3 on pink paper. Why does the invoice print all three copies to the correct trays but the picking slips print the first copy to tray 1 with white paper and the 2nd and 3rd copies goes to the bottom tray? They are using the same drivers and set up identical.
Thank you for the assistance.

Thanks for providing so much detail. I don't know anything about that particular program/software vendor, but to me it's starting to sound like it's an application issue.

The reason is that some things are printing as "designed", while others are not. If you are able to request custom programming changes from the vendor, or if you have someone in house who can handle VBA programming or whatever scripting language is being used for the printing of your invoices, receipts, etc, then you might want to look there. I may of missed something else, but it really seems to me that is your issue.

If you are the one to delve into the VBA programming of it (that part shouldn't have anything to do with SQL Server, since it should be handled by the front end (I think), then you can likely get the help you need over in forum705.

Either way, let us know what else you try. If you do end up trying that forum or another for help, be sure to post a link here to the new thread for others to follow the situation.

I may try to rethink this later to be sure, but for now, I'm going with application issues or limitations.

--

I have solved the printing to the wrong tray issue. After further research I found from other people who have a lot of experience with HP printers that the drivers that HP recommends to download to use with the HP LaserJet P4014 have a lot of issues and problems. Someone recommended to download the driver for the HP 4350. I downloaded the driver HP LaserJet 4350 PCL 5e and installed 3 printers (one for each tray). The forms printed correctly to the three trays the first time. I think that HP should inform people upfront if there are known issues with certain drivers. It took a lot of research and valuable time to solve what was basically HP's drivers for this printer having lots of problems. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Thanks for the follow-up and detailed resolution, jih9.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back