Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Laserjet not communicating via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2010
US
Windows XP 32 bit
HP Laserjet P2015dn

We have a Laserjet P2015dn printer connected via usb to a Windows XP 32bit desktop.

The user has reported that the printer stops printing intermittently, that it works sometimes and sometimes it stops, etc.

My troubleshooting step was to download and re-install the specific pcl5 drivers from the HP website for the printer.

When the install was complete, the USB icon appeared next to the clock, indicating that there may be an issue with a usb device and that windows did not recognize the device.

I attempt to print a test page to the printer and it got stuck in the queue.

At this point, it appeared to be a communication issue with the usb connection to the printer or a driver issue.

I looked for some sort of driver uninstall utility to clean out all drivers and start over, but did not find one.

When I look under Device Manager >>Universal Serial Bus, the usb port is reporting the printer as ‘Unknown Device’. I deleted that entry, restarted the computer, but comes up as unknown again.

The printer appears under printers and faxes in windows. It is set as a default. Under its properties, it shows that HP drivers were installed for it, and that the printer port is set communicate via the USB virtual port.

I attempted to delete that virtual port, but windows does not let me.

I have identical printers / workstations working in that same office without a problem.

Tek tips community, what do you think?

TekSupporter
MCP, A+, CNA

Hi,

USB Ports in printers seldom fails, so I would rather look at the SW and HW around the printer like:
How long is the cable you use ?
Do you use a USB HUB or any USB extension chords ?
Cables above 2m might cause problems.
Try disabling windows power save for the USB root hub.
Did you test with other USB devices on that PC ?
Try printing a test page directly of the printer when the connectivity issue occurs.
This should prove whether the issue is HW or SW related. If the test page comes out OK it is likely the USB port will work OK also.

How long is the cable you use?
Standard length, around 4-5 feet
Do you use a USB HUB or any USB extension chords?
no hubs, straight connection to the workstation

Try disabling windows power save for the USB root hub.
I will try this

Did you test with other USB devices on that PC?
Yes, other devices work, and have 2 exact setups on other desks.

Try printing a test page directly of the printer when the connectivity issue occurs.
Will try that

Thank you for the help!

TekSupporter
MCP, A+, CNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back