Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP LaserJet (8000 PCL 6) Quick Save sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaGirl

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Does anyone know where these settings are held ? Does anyone know of a script or tool that I could use to set up the printer with a Quick Save set already defined for the users?

Is there a hard drive installed? This will hold saved jobs, secure, walk up to print jobs, and Users info.
You can use JetAdmin to administer and control.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

on a 8000 use PCL5 rather tan PCL6

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

I suspect that the settings are held in the Windows Registry - but where these are may be OS-version-specific, and the interpretation of the contents may also be dependent on individual drivers.

For example, on my Win XP Pro machine, I have a registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers.
This has several sub-keys, including DevModesPerUser, DevModes2 and Settings.
Each of these sub-keys has a number of REG_BINARY name/value pairs, one per logical printer.

But I don't know how to interpret the contents of the values; they are large binary fields, which appear to contains names in Unicode format; I suspect that each field may be a collection of TLD (Type/Length/Data) items (or LTD, or TLLD, or similar) but I don't really know.

I found something called PrintUI (microsoft util). This lets you define and save printers and printer settings such as "Printer Quick Save sets".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back