Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP laptop fails to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

firas2513

Technical User
Jun 5, 2008
US
I got a HP NC 6000, it randomly doesn't start at all, when I turn it on, the fan works for 5 seconds, the charging led light turns on, but nothing else, and then it turns off without even turning on the screen. but some other times it turns on regular and everything works properly, until a certain time, like about 10 minutes or so, then it freezes and what i do is i turn it off from the on/off switch, and after i try it again it does the same first problem. what i discovered is that by the moment i turn it on, if i flip the screen to three quarters cloed, it will work, but if i open the screen again it will turn off. I need help plz. thanks

Hmmm...from afar it sounds like a fault in the wiring to the lid. Have you tried turning it on with an external monitor attached and the lid (almost) closed?

That freezing sounds like it might be overheating, but power issues will cause the same symptoms.

Try the universal laptop repair: Remove the battery and AC adapter, then hold the power switch down for 30 seconds or so. Any better?

Tony

Users helping Users...

this isn't doing any good, i mean the 30 seconds cure, i will try pluging the laptop to another screen, can i just plug it to another laptop?? and how do i do it, thnx for the help tony

We have over 500 HP laptops where I work and a variety of models. We don't have the NC 6000, but I can tell you I've seen those symptoms on some of the models we do have, particularly the nx6325. From what HP reps have told me in the past, there was a string of faulty video controllers released with certain models. Replacing the motherboard will resolve it.

If it's not still under warranty, find someone who is good with laptops. They might be able to find you a spare mobo for cheap and install it for you. The other option is to purchase an extended warranty from HP if the laptop is new enough (your model came out about 3 years ago, so it might be eligible).

I can't say why moving your screen makes any difference during bootup - it shouldn't. What if you leave it 3/4 closed, then hit the power button using a pen or something without moving the screen? Will it power on every time? Does it still turn off as soon as you move the screen (even if Windows has already booted up)?

Other possibile causes that should be checked before the motherboard when possible:
- hard drive
- battery
- power adapter

Of course that's easy for me to say with a lot of spare parts laying around! Again, it might just be easier for you to find a reliable tech at a local mom & pop shop. Try your best to avoid national chains like the Geek Squad who will charge you an arm & leg.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

If positioning the hinge has an affect on whether or not the laptop boots, it might be possible that the screen cable (which routes through the hinge) has an exposed wire or two that is shorting out when the screen is in certain positions and not others.

To add to what Cdogg said, try for a warranty repair or find a GOOD local guy who is willing to fix it as disassembly of laptops is possible for the novice, but it is not for the faint of heart. Actually, it is the reassembly where things get nasty. Also, if your unit is out of warranty, you might be able to get one used at a reasonable price (ebay, perhaps?) and swap hard drives with it.

Mike, The IT Guy.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

i'm not worried about the hard drive, coz i already moved all the data to another laptop (i did it when my old hp forgot that he has a problem and worked properly for ten minutes), what concerns me is if i can still use this laptop or i need to donnate it to the rats at the garbage plant. the laptop now only starts when the screen is 3/4 closed, other wise it doesn't start at all, but eventhough it starts with the screen closed, it just reaches the windows where i need to login to my account and there it freezes, and that is all that i can see on that laptop, so i'm guessing it is a double problem? a bad cable running to the screen, and a bad motherboard or harddrive??

Freezing" in windows doesn't tell you much if anything about the hard drive. Also, the chance that your problem involves more than one component is very low.

If it boots up fine but then freezes on its own without moving the screen or laptop, then it is doubtful that the screen or video cable has anything to do with it. If there was a short somewhere in the wiring, chances are you wouldn't get all the way to the Windows login prompt every time you left the screen alone. That's my guess anyway.

Also since it won't even start at times, it can't be a Windows issue. It definitely sounds like a power issue, and the power switch/controller on the motherboard is likely the cause. Try using the laptop without the battery first (some models let you). If that doesn't make a difference or doesn't work at all, your best bet would be to replace the motherboard next or trash it (strip it for parts and sell them). Replacing the battery or power adapter would be a nice in-between step, but it's hardly worth the money when you don't have spares on hand.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

Ok, I have the same laptop and I was dealing with this issue for some time. The problem is a chip on the motherboard the Max chip under the motherboard. I have been in the HP forums for some time now and I have a soltuion if you are willing to crack open the case and tear out the motherboard.

check out this HP forum:

in there i explain how to rigg your pc to power up and to power your battery. It's not the best solution...but it has been proven to work.

"Hello all, I recently was given an nc6000 due to the fact that the machine was hard to turn on and also it was hard to keep running. I have looked over everything and have come down to this.

1 - The max chip on the motherboard is in a bad spot but if your willing to try a re-sodder your just about as crazy as most people.

2 - Using a heat gun is also crazy i mean yeah sure it sound cool but how many people out there are willing to spend 129$ on a heat gun when you can just buy a new motherboard that fixes this issue (2.0+ fixes this issue)

3 - How did i fix this issue? Simple...I used a piece of hard rubber and electrical tape. I made sure to put the rubber right onto the chip (this rubber can't be to big but has to be big enough to put pressure on the chip when you screw everything in) then placed the electrical tape to one side of the motherboard and the other on the other side ( thus keeping the rubber in place while i screw back in the mobo). Once i have done this i have no issue with the laptop not charging and it boots up no matter what the weather is or how hot i keep my room.

So if your cheap or don't know how to sodder this is a workable work around on the max chip fix.

Bobby"

bobby said:
The problem is a chip on the motherboard

In quite a few situations, that is true. However, there are many instances throughout that thread that were caused by other components. Mike, who started the thread, had this to say after trying to swap the motherboard, battery, and hard drive:

mike g Apr 4, 2007 19:03:26 GMT

My problem was without a doubt the LCD. I tried swapping every other thing first (never thought the display could be the problem).

Another poster, Dan, said he noticed this:

Woodsroad Oct 7, 2006 23:43:37 GMT

OK, the nice serviceman from HP's regional affiliate service center came by the other day, new motherboard in hand. It was a couple revision points newer than the one that was installed. Upon dismantling the laptop, he quickly spotted what he felt was the cause of the problem: A blown diode in the power section, right at the Multibay connector. Blown clear off the board....

...Anyway, the new motherboard seems to have solved the problem.

And back to your suggestion, I'm assuming you got the idea from Mr. Blackadder:
Edmund Blackadder Oct 3, 2007 20:41:19 GMT

If I put slight pressure on top of the power jack the unit will boot. Let off the pressure and it dies. Could be in the same circuit as the battery, if the battery power has to run throught the same traces that would explain it. Pressing down on the top of the keyboard as others are doing will put pressure on the jack.

The point is that it appears the NC 6000 and other models from the 6000 series appear to have a wide range of issues. Replacing the motherboard with one that is the newest revision in the series is still a good option that will resolve most of the issues people have been seeing. But like that thread points out, there's no guarantee that's the problem...

~cdogg

Agreed, if you swap out the motherboard you have got about a 89% chance that will fix the issue, but there is that 11% still lingering. I really got the idea from a dell hard drive that i have at my desk, At the bottom of the green slides on the side it has two "feet" that are made of simi hard white rubber..figured that kind of stuff can hold it in place why not use the same thing to hold a chip against a motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back