Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP G3 vs HP G4 servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublin101

Technical User
May 26, 2006
AU
Hi,

I'm not that experienced in the Hardware side, but I need to know if there is much of a difference performance wise between the G3's and G4's.

Eg if they both have 2 x dual core specs, same amount of RAM, etc, is there meant to be much of a difference.

We are looking at purchasing some 2nd hand servers from a company in liquidation and I am trying to find out some information on them. Thanks.

if you had to choose between the 2, then the G4 has to be the choice, if only because its the newer model.
However, be aware that the G4 is now end of life, HP have moved to the G5, which now uses newer technology. This could impact any spares or replacements you need to buy in the future

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

thanks...our position is this......do we buy 1 x G4, or, with the same cash by 2 x G3 (practically same specs).

That is why I'm so interested in knowing if ther is much of a performance difference.

We only want to have them in service for the next 2 years or so. Thanks.

It depends on the specs of the server components and what you plan on using the server to do. Sometimes the array controllers will be better in the newer versions, as well as having faster processors. If your looking to get a single G4 vs two G3s, think of this. You could load balance between two G3s and most likely get better performance versus a single G4. Also with 2 G3s you could have redudancy in case a hardware failure

However, as Scotsdude has mentioned, you run the risk of not finding spare parts when something fails.

Go with the G3 Servers. You're right, the specs are pretty close. I have quite a few DL380 G3's and they are rock solid. I've had more problems with the newer G4's for some reason (several units rebooting when CPU high), so I'm glad to still have my G3's around.

J

*J*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back