Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DLT Autoloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

micon55

MIS
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Aaaaaah!!! I am pulling my hair out!
We have an HP DLT Autoloader connected to a SCSI card on a server running W2K and Veritas BE.

The BE software states the media is unrecognisable when it is in the caddy, but no media when it is loaded. I cannot format the media or run an inventory. To top it all off, the Veritas BE frequently locks up and only resets after a re-boot.

I would like to get this working so I can schedule backups on different media, but Veritas can't load from caddy to drive.

Any ideas greatly accepted.
Thanks.
Mike

Where did these tapes come from?? Have they been written to by another application??

Thanks for the responses. For clarification:

We are running BE 8.6, rev 3808 on a server running W2K SP4. Connected to the server is an HP DLT4000 autoloader with a magazine with 6 usable media slots.

Once connected, Windows recognises the Autoloader and it's drive OK and BE also recognises the Autoloader upon installation. It is then subsequently listed in the 'Devices' tab along with the slots. The problem is that Veritas is showing the media in these slots as 'unrecognisable media'. I cannot use BE to check the media in any way, nothing happens. Cannot run inventory, erase and the format option is greyed out. The DLT tapes are the original ones purchased with the unit and have never been used with any other software.

If I manually load a media tape into the drive using the HP itself, The slot is then displayed in Veritas as empty. Obvoiusly, the Veritas is recognising the HP device in some way, it just doesn't interface with it.

I have looked through the Veritas manual and followed many of the Autoloader recommendations like setting it's mode to Random.

Thanks again.

Comtec17 - The removable storage service is running. Am I meant to disable it?

Thanks.

Yes, disable it. It will cause conflicts as to what Backup App owns the media, drive, and library.

Thanks for that. I have now disabled it.
Still no joy though. If I do an inventory, it says it's active, but mo media gets mounted.
Thanks.

I have a DELL 136T autoloader (library) with 3 HP tape drives.

1st - Do not disable the removable storage service (since you already have, just enable it again). That service runs the robotic arm.

2nd - Which drivers are you using? Veritas or HP?

3rd - Do you have the Veritas BE license for the library (library expansion option)?

4th - How did you load your tapes into the library? With my DELL I need to use BE, right click on the slot and select IMPORT. Then I put the tape into the 'mailbox' on the library and Veritas moves it to the proper slot. Then I inventory it. If I manually put the tape into the slot, then Backup Exec doesn't recognize it.

5th - you don't have the latest build for version 8.6. You should apply the latest service pack/hotfix.

-SQLBill

SQLBill,
The Removable Storage Service does not control the robot arm. In fact, Veritas recommends disabling this service. The robot and drives are controlled via the veritas drivers.

Many thanks for the replies guys.
SQLBill - Thanks. I have since updated the BE to rev 3878. The drivers for the loader are the Veritas ones, (recommended..?) I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Library Expansion Option does not need to be purchased if you are running a single drive, (1 drive, 1 magazine with 6 slots). Each tape is loaded from the magazine. Am I wrong here?
I am unsure what you mean by how did I load the tapes into the library. I basically loaded the 6 tapes by hand into the magazine and then inserted the magazine into the Autoloader. The tapes are then recognised by BE, but are listed as unrecognisable. The Import command seemed to complete successfully, but the Inventory command did nothing with the tapes.
This is probably a simple thing to solve, but I don't seem to be able to find the answer.

Thanks again for replying.
Mike

You do not need the library expansion option for a single drive autoloader.

The robotic arm is controlled by BE - not RSM.

Do you initialize the the library once the tapes have been inserted??

Rols - Thanks for that. I haven't used the initialize function for the autoloader. Is this significant? Both the server and Autoloader have been re-started numerous times. Does it not reset automatically.
Again, thanks.

Thanks for all the help with this. I think we're nearly there.
I have been able to successfully communicate with the loader using BE. I have used the initialize option on the loader and checks were then made on the loader.... hooray.

I then imported each tape in the slots, again 'Activity' said completed successfully.

The only thing now is that when I try to run a slot inventory from BE, nothing happens. The Activity Monitor says that this is running but the percent figure stays on zero and nothing seems to happen. How long should the inventory take?

Media is also still showing as unrecognised, which is odd because it's the original media for the unit.

Any more ideas?
Many Thanks.
Mike

micon55

Has this worked in the past on this server, like did this suddenly start happening.

A few things to check for..

1. Check the System log for event ID's 7,9,11,15 - if any are they they can indicate bad hardware.
2. Update the firmware on the library and drives.
3. What SCSI ID's are you using for the library and drive, make sure the library is less than the drive and make sure they are not using 0,1 - use 2,3.

If all the above fails, see if you can get it working with NTbackup.
I suspect possibly there could be a hardware issue here - either library, SCSI card, cable, perhaps terminator.

One more thing, do you have the library attached to it's own SCSI card, and is it a RAID controller?

If it's a RAID controller, get anotherSCSI card for it - RAID controllers are not designed for tape devices.

Thanks Justin. Yes, the SCSI IDs are 2 for loader and 3 for the drive.
I haven't updated the firmware for the loader, but will contact the vendor today to see if they'll send us an update.
We are using a RAID controller in this setup which might explain some things, I have now ordered a separate SCSI card purely for the Autoloader.

I will post again if successful.
Many Thanks All,
Mike

micon55

I would say that a SCSI card which is not a RAID controller will fix the issue - putting tapes drives of any sort on RAID controllers, give unpredictable results, one of which you are having.
Other things which can happen are:-
1. Server blue screens unexpectedly, either out of the blue, or during a backup.
2. Tape drives not being picked up properly.
3. Backup supposedly successful, but can't restore from these tapes.
4. Corruption on the RAIF disk volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back