Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DL380 G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbarron

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

We have a DL380 G4 server with 3 x 300gb ultra320 scsi disks in it set at RAID level 5. We are running out of disk space and I would like to expand the array with another 300gb disk. The server has a single smart array 6i controller in it and 2gb ram. Am I going to cause any performance issues by adding another disk to the equation?

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee,

There will be a bit of a performance hit while the array expands but you could start it at end of work day.
Depends what you have the setting at really.

If memory serves the 6i does support array expansion but MUST have battery backed write cache to do it.

Neill

Neill

Thanks for the reply.

The HP documentation says it could take as long as 15 mins per gigabyte. on a 300gb drive this is going to take 3 days!

Looks like a weekend job....

Thanks

Lee

As I remember, the documentation is not written accurately regarding the time that it will take to expand the array.
The HP documentation says it could take as long as 15 mins per gigabyte.
It should state: It could take as long as 15 mins per gigabyte of the size of the new array.

Granted that is worst-case, but I did run into it once. I called HP and they told me the documentation wasn't real clear regarding that little piece of important information. Most people mistakenly assume, as I did, that it meant the size of the drive being added. I was already 4 days into the expansion process and couldn't go back. In hind-sight it would have been faster to buy all new drives, backup the current system, pull old drives (for DR if needed), put in new ones and restore.

Good Luck.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back