Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DeskJet and NT4 Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkieEll

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
GB
Does anyone know where to get the driver for the above as there isnt one on HP that I can find. I got hold of one but it only works if you are an ADMIN and it isnt a permissions thing on the printer. These printers are autocreated at logon.

afaik any nt4 driver should work with TSE..

are you in install mode when creating and setting up the printer?

Unfortunately they dont. NT4 drivers can kill NT4 TSE Servers ! It turns out that HP will say that they are compatible to sell em then trying to install support say they are not. Sounds too familiar

i would hae thought that some sort of Deskjet driver would come with TSE.. theres various deskjet drivers on our TSE servers, but i suspect other admins may have installed them..

laserjet 4 should do the trick for you anyway :)

Yes, we installed our Deskjet on Terminal Server with NT drivers - no problems.

it sounds like it may depend on the particular printer driver you are using. I have a 930 installed on our NT40TS/Citrix box that works... it's only for my office though... LTP1, and LPT1 is being shared by a few other printers on Citrix as well. (Don't know how that figures in)

Have you tried HP's favorite "generic" driver the 500?

Thadd

It turned out to be a case of to use the generic driver but there are questions being asked about the functionality and whether or not new printers will work etc. It works with Generic driver but not its proper one. Why complain? It works!

MarkiEll,

I would suggest using the generic driver as a last resort when installing new printers. Most drivers should work with TS/Citrix setups, but some lower end units were not designed to be used in a network configuration. They are best suited for direct connect (LPT1) as a local printer. You could also try the Post Script version of the particular printer before going with the generic 500.

Glad things are working for you now!
Thadd

I have had a great deal of difficulty in getting HP Laserjet 2100 to install on NT4TSE when the printer is shared from a Win2000 client. Sharing from an NT4 client works OK though.
The only way I have been able to get it to work is by installing a JetDirect card into the printer and using Jet Admin to install. This still gives reduced functionality i.e. with MS AccessXP reports, although printer has multiple trays, you cannot select a specific tray to use. This causes some reports to try and print to the multi tray. I've decided to phase out these low end printers and run with HP 4000 and 4050 instead. More expensive printer but no headache! Hurrah!!

If anyone has succeeded in installing the 2100 on an NT4TSE, shared from a Win2000 client, I would very much like to know the solution.

MarkieEll,

A few things:

Is this a Citrix box, or just NT40TS?
Which deskjet are you trying to install on NT40TS?
Have you tried installing the deskjet500 or 800 driver?
(BTW, you shouldn't have any problems with newer printers)

And lastly, I am only familiar with Citrix 1.8 on a NT40TS box...what do you mean they are autocreated at logon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back