Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP/Compaq shop switching to Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

grshpr

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
I work for a company that has had Compaq (then HP/Compaq) servers for at least the past 5 years.

Now we are asked to look into Dell servers. Has anyone gone from an HP/Compaq shop to a Dell shop? What kind of issues did you run into, and how easy was the conversion.

Another side of this is that we currently have 3 SAN's, all HP, EVA5000, MA8000, RA8000. Has anyone had issues with hooking up Dell servers to those SAN's. We also currently use the Cisco 9509 Fiber Switch for SAN connectivity.

I have never switched a network from compaq to Dell, but I've worked in large compaq networks and also in large Dell networks.

Hp/Compaq by far has much better tech support than Dell. Compaq also has better tools for monitoring remote servers.

When you talk about switching over, it sounds like you're planning on tearing all your compaq systems out in one big swoop and plopping Dells down. It would make more sense, if you are going to go to Dell, to just start purchasing Dell servers to replace old or outdated compaq servers. Let the Compaq ones stay in place as long as they are functional and still do the job.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks for the advice Marvin, the uppper mgt is going to stick with HP/Compaq, so we won our case. I have heard that support was not as good with Dell yet as Compaq is now. We were looking to roll-in Dell's slowly, as Compaq's were retired...a 2 man crew with a full workload already would in no way be able to handle migrating over 100 servers.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I've had limited tech support with compaq because of few compaq servers. However I've had lots of Dell servers. The limited contact with compaq was not one of my more pleasent experiences.

If you have a four hour contract with Dell their tech support has always been great for me.

Dell has weaknesses in support for sure (like they assume downing a server at their convenience to help troubleshooting is an acceptable option). I think they'd farmed it out off-shore now anyway and the support people are even more reliant on running through scripts than before. Having said that my limited experience with Compaq support hasn't been very positive either.

As a laid-off ex-Dell employee I am not tring to win them any favors but in the process of getting all the info. you might want to look at this.

Dell cancels Indian tech support
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) --After an onslaught of complaints, Dell Inc. has stopped using a technical support center in India to handle calls. Some U.S. customers have complained that the Indian technical-support representatives are difficult to communicate with because of thick accents and scripted responses.

Tech support for Optiplex and Latitude computers will be handled now in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee. Calls for some will continue to be handled by the technical support center in Bangalore, India, and Dell has no plans to scale back the operation there.

"Customers weren't satisfied with the level of support they were receiving, so we're moving some calls around to make sure they don't feel that way anymore." Dell would not discuss the nature of the dissatisfaction with the call center in Bangalore.

A Dell customer, Ronald Kronk, has spent the last four months trying to solve a problem that resulted in his being billed for two computers. The problem, he said, is that the Dell call center is in India.

"They're extremely polite, but I call it sponge listening -- they just soak it in and say, 'I can understand why you're angry,' but nothing happens," Kronk said. He added: "Every time I see a Dell commercial on TV, I just cringe. They make it sound so easy and it's been a nightmare."

Man I told them that thing would never fly....Don't sell the bike shop Orville!

<sigh>

Michael

Don't do it!!! We are going from Dell to HP. We have had nothing but problems with Dell array's. Harddrive failures, PERC controller issues, you name it. Since switching to HP our up time has doubled and our MSA 1000 is wonderful.
I would advise to think hard before going. Although we do use dell desktop's and IBM laptop's.

Good luck.

Hold on! This could Hurt! I ain't certified by Microsoft!

Thanks

Hi Guys,
im sticked to Compaq/HP Servers since years.
i have also compared them to other Brands.

Most basic thing, every server manufacturer,
use normally the Chipsets from Reliance Computing
(the grand champion stuff).
So no differences there. Only IBM has its own memory controller (memory compression, no joke) and Compaq
in their large servers.

So you have to compare 4 points
-Raid controllers the most important thing int he Server.
-mechanical Design, for service, hotplug and so on
-Software support, ease of upgradeing.
-Human support.

I personally think that HP has the easiest way to update their machines. But there is no place for strong customization. Mechanical Design from HP is brilliant.
Human Suppport ....
HP Logistics in Europe is bad ...

Thanks for all the feedback. We have at this point won our battle of not bringing Dell in, and sticking with the Compaq/HP servers as our standard.

We have a couple of Dells now and will see how they hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back